The Cleveland Museum of Art


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Ohio » Cleveland
August 2nd 2015
Published: May 13th 2019
Edit Blog Post

I was born in Ohio and lived there the first 25 years of my life. In all that time, I never made it to the art museum. This was my very first visit.

We wanted to do something in Cleveland on a weekday afternoon, and we chose the art museum because it was free. FREE! That is an enticing factor when you are traveling with four kids. I have never been much of an art connoisseur, so I really wasn't expecting a whole lot. We simply piled in the van and headed downtown.

The first thing we saw was the giant atrium area. Apparently brand new, it was really beautiful. We marveled at it for a short while, then explored the very nice museum gift shop. Then we began our journey through the world of art. We walked through small rooms, one after the other. The art was arranged in date order, so as we went along, we were able to see how art has changed and morphed over the years. We started with dark portraits and religious paintings. After a few centuries, light began to show in the artwork. There were blue skies and sunshine instead of pitch black backgrounds. Then came the impressionists and later, the more modern forms of art. I found it very interesting and enlightening. All of the teens liked it as well.

In addition to artwork, there was a room of armor, another full of Egyptian artifacts and mummies, and another with African artifacts, including some very fierce-looking masks.

This is a great museum for anyone, especially when you don't have to pay to enter. You basically cannot lose. So come and see the Van Gogh, the Monet, the mummies and the masks. I highly recommend!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb