Rainy Day Fun in Berlin


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Ohio » Berlin
September 18th 2015
Published: September 19th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Got your slickers and galoshes on? It's raining today. Neither rain nor sleet nor snow will stop us where we want to go. We are headed to Berlin, Ohio today. So buckle up in your arm chair as we travel along on those crazy hilly paths again. There's a big celebration going on in Berlin today: their Fall Festival and huge Ribfest. Too bad....the rain tends to dampen the spirit but yet there are many folks strolling around this quaint and touristy town. Our destination was undercover: a mega Antique Mall. Sam seems to know the location of every antique shop and mall in every state. He's like a GPS set on "antiques." We wandered in and out of the many booths, drooling all the time. We did purchase a couple small trinkets. Lulu thought she was in her own personal wonderland...she went crazy! After hours spent amongst someone's heirlooms, Sandy & I went through a delightful gift shop (bigger than a roller rink)...more drool.

Not done yet...Sam knew about a monster size indoor flea market. My legs were shaking with excitement. Lulu would have done the same if she had legs. The car flew here. Hours passed so quickly in this enormous arena.....never quite knowing if we had seen it all. OMG.....we still aren't done with this treasure hunt. Sandy wears a Fitbit and records the steps, miles and stairs she walks in a day. I'm sure it records 10 miles for today. Actually, it was only 2+ miles but that's a lot for me. I used to walk mega miles with Sweet Chip when we went on our morning hikes. It's not fun anymore without my buddy. Now, walking around our backyard maze has become a big deal for me.

ANYWAY (as Sam says) .....we now have entered upon another wonderful antique mall. All around their overhang on the entire building, we found masses of goodies. Almost made us decide to go back into the business. Lulu took full advantage of all the unique items. Finally, we made our way inside, only to drop to our knees seeing the mountains of relics. We have now entered into antique heaven. We tested our will power to the fullest. It was painful and challenging. So many times we said " we'd buy that if we still in the business!" I think we said it a million times.
New friendNew friendNew friend

Bathroom break

Weakened, frail and drained.....we decided we needed to eat. All this "antiquing" has sucked us dry of energy and strength. Of course, Sam & Sandy know the perfect restaurant: Der Dutchman Walnut Creek. Marvelous. A huge, huge restaurant and bakery. The food was to die for. We had the broasted chicken dinner.......oooooooo, so good! Revitalized, we were back in action and on the go. Maybe Sandy's fitbit was broken cause it truly seemed we walked 10 to 50 million miles.

Sam's fancy car squealed into the parking lot of Heini's....yup, Heini's. No, it wasn't a hoochy-koochy show. It was a cheese factory chalet. Any cheese connoisseur would be in their Beulah Land. Every cheese had a 1/4 inch square morsel to sample. Millions of cheese chunks to savor. One I tried was most unpleasant.....yuck & puke! I did a double pass down the fudge aisle. The rain remained steady but it never bothered us. Every place we went was undercover.

Sleep was perfect...nothing like hearing the rain drops on our RV roof. Better than a lullaby. Rest well because we have a very full day tomorrow. Going to an old town that stays open on Sunday. Most everything
At the huge Flea MarketAt the huge Flea MarketAt the huge Flea Market

Cory & Lulu get close in a sauna but then she finds Farmer Fred
is closed in this area on Sunday because the Amish and Mennonites own it. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Puppet FriendPuppet Friend
Puppet Friend

At the Walnut Creek Antique Mall
Like the hat....on the overhangLike the hat....on the overhang
Like the hat....on the overhang

Where's Lulu? Can you find her?
Amish LuluAmish Lulu
Amish Lulu

Sitting in her amish buggy
At Der Dutchman Retaurant...a gift! At Der Dutchman Retaurant...a gift!
At Der Dutchman Retaurant...a gift!

Broasted chicken dinner...yummy
Amish horse in the rain...sadAmish horse in the rain...sad
Amish horse in the rain...sad

At Heini's Cheese Chalet..Lulu gets a free ride in the cart.


Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.1266s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb