Day 2 - May 13, 2017 Forest City, IA to Oacoma, SD


Advertisement
Published: May 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Forest City, IA to Oacoma, SD


Our day started off with a bit of a problem. At 5:00 am, Ray woke up to a very chilly RV. After checking the furnace out extensively, he discovered we didn't have any hot water either. After then crawling around outside in his moose pajamas, he found that the set up crew failed to turn on the propane. All is well now, and we were toasty warm enjoying our coffee.

After the Great Alaskan orientation, we hit the road at around 9:50, hoping to beat the masses at the nearest Wal Mart. Two grocery carts later, we packed up the RV and headed west. Our next stop would be Costco to pick up our wine supply. As you are limited on how much wine can be brought into Canada, we tried to figure out the correct amount. Decided to just get a case, and if that's too much we'll drink it at the border.

This is not a real pleasant leg on our trip. As experienced two years ago, there isn't anything spectacular to see along the way, and the wind blows like crazy. Driving a 31 foot RV is a physical chore, as it is buffeted constantly. When a tractor trailer passes going 80 MPH, it literally sucks the RV toward it. The scenery in the Southwest section of Minnesota is basically thousands of acres of corn fields and wind mill fields. I've not seen this many windmills before, and I must say, although they seem to "fit in" in the flat farmland, I would not wish to look out across from the lake and see them lining the mountain sides. Nothing attractive about them at all. Driving into South Dakota, the topography changes, with the terrain becoming a little more rolling. Nothing changed with respect to the wind however, in fact I think it got stronger. The soil here is the darkest loam I've ever seen, and the farmers are busy farming the great fields, getting ready for planting. John Deere is king out here, with some of the largest tractors you've ever seen.

We finally arrived at our evening destination at 7:00 pm, hooked up and set up for cocktail hour. The guys from Cedar Hammock were there and joined us for drinks. Cocktail hour lasted 2 hours. We had a small salad and hit the sack, with beautiful sleeping weather to enjoy.

Mile today - 346

Total miles - 346

Wildlife sightings - just cattle


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.201s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 19; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0959s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb