A Beautiful Day in North Dakota


Advertisement
Published: June 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

South Unit ViewSouth Unit ViewSouth Unit View

From Buck Hill
Spent the day touring the South and North Units of the Theodore Roosevelt National Park. Perfect skies and moderate temp. A little windy, but that kept things comfortable. With gas prices now at $3.99/gallon, it's expensive to travel much of anywhere and I was itching to go somewhere, so headed to the western side of my state of North Dakota to see some of our beautiful landscape. Ended up being a great day to tour the Park.

We've had plenty of rain recently so everything is greening up well. Made the colors in the Badlands start to pop out. With some more rain, it will really green up and the Park will be near perfect. The animals were also out today. I wasn't able to snap any pictures of birds or deer. They were there but I just wasn't fast enough for my camera. The horses, antelope, buffalo and prairie dogs were all willing to pose for me, however, so able to snap several photos.

Theodore Roosevelt National Park is divided into two units. Both are gorgeous and worth a visit. The North Unit is smaller but has great views of the Little Missouri River. The South Unit is much bigger and allows you to really get into the Badlands for some up high views. Both have plenty of buffalo with the South Unit being more of a home to wild horses and antelope as well. The South Unit tends to be more popular due to its close proximity to Medora and the Painted Canyon Visitor's Center but I tend to prefer the North Unit because of the great views of the River from above that you can get. The South Unit also has the River cutting through it but views tend to be at water level there. The South Unit also has more trails which draws people in as well.

Wonderful day and a great visit with my camera.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

South UnitSouth Unit
South Unit

Lots of people was driving through enjoying the sites.
North Unit FormationsNorth Unit Formations
North Unit Formations

The circular ones are formed that way.


29th June 2008

Theodore Roosevelt National Park
Your blog compelled me to do more research about this amazing national park that I had not heard of before. Thanks for the nice introduction! I was surprised to learn that it was established in relatively recent years... By the way, what is a TRNP formation? They look identical to something that I found in Nevada recently...

Tot: 0.249s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 93; dbt: 0.2113s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb