The scientific name for bison is Bison bison


Advertisement
Published: June 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Welcome to Theodore Roosevelt NPWelcome to Theodore Roosevelt NPWelcome to Theodore Roosevelt NP

North Dakota, the unthinkable.
North Dakota. What can I say about the state, which has more power line poles than human? As soon as we arrived at the Theodore Roosevelt National Park, all we could think about was how remote the area was. All we have here is open wilderness, with hills and green open fields, and buffalo are grazing in a distance. The night here is amazing, with nobody else but our group, no light obstruction coming from anywhere; all we have is our companion and thousands of stars in the sky. I introduced the brutal "Indo slap" game, which creates a lot of noise and injuries.

Little Missouri River snaked through the National Park, the murky brown color of the water reminds us of chocolate milk, and even I drank a sip of it in front of Lori, who believed me for having a sip of chocolate milk.

Making our way even up north to Canada, we stopped at the International Peace Garden, which depicts the friendship between the United States and Canada. A strong axis of the garden illustrates the border line between the two, with a flowerbed of American flag on one side, and the Canadian flag on the other side. The garden just reminded us on how close we are to entering Canada, how much trouble we could encounter by crossing the country border, especially after the New York attacks.

An update about North Dakota. North Dakota is trying to get rid the "North" word from the official name of the state, because they think that the "Dakota" instead of "North Dakota" will help people think about the state less north. Huh? Does it help Virginia to be less east with no "East Virginia" compared to "West Virginia"?




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

BisonBison
Bison

We were trapped on top of a hill because the bison was on the way to get back to our camp.
International Peace GardenInternational Peace Garden
International Peace Garden

The Canadian side of the garden.
North Dakota flagNorth Dakota flag
North Dakota flag

The half staff of the flag, in honor of 9-11 victims.


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0313s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb