The Biggest Buffalo in the World


Advertisement
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Big BuffaloBig BuffaloBig Buffalo

26 feet high and 46 feet long. Watches over the city of Jamestown.
Well, here's the biggest buffalo one can see in the world, I guess. Located at the National Buffalo Museum/Frontier Village in Jamestown, ND.

The "artifical" buffalo is 26 feet high and 46 feet long. It is a 60 ton concrete monument and was dedicated in 1959. Overlooks the city of Jamestown and its prairie hills. There's also a live buffalo herd in residence roaming throughout the hills which also includes a rare white albino buffalo called "White Cloud". I always enjoy seeing these creatures who still look like they probably did centuries ago. Much, much bigger in person. You wouldn't want one of them mad at you.

Frontier Village is an old time Village featuring a variety of shops and displays about the wild, old west days. Also includes some art galleries and historical references as well. Plus, you can get some old time shakes/malts there as well. Enjoyable side trip or good stretch break as you're passing by on Interstate 94.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



29th May 2007

good for you
Can you believe that all the years I have driven by that buffalo I have never stop since I was in grade school!
30th May 2007

Actually
Despite growing up in North Dakota and probably driving by that buffalo 500 or more times, I have never stopped! Decided it was finally time to do so!!
27th June 2007

North Dakota
When the NCT Conference was iin N. Dakota, I planned a tourist trip that took people into the highlights of S. Dakota and N. Dakota. I planned the trip before the Conference and we had one large 15 passenger van and a small van that we took. Saw many of the sites that you are going to. I planned mornings as driving and seeing things together. Afternoon was optional sites since we had 2 vans, but keeping 17 people happy was a chore!!!! Teddy Roosevelt was some rough and tough guy! I hope you have not left the area yet. Going to the Medora Musical is a must. We were told by locals not to miss it and it was worth it. The Badlands and Roosevelt Nat. Park are really massive areas, aren't they and beautiful in their own way.
28th June 2007

ND
Actually, I grew up in ND and still live here. Just have never gotten around until recently to see our off the beaten track sites. Will keep adding what I see!

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb