Evangel AG Motorcycle Adventure (Jun 17-20, 2010)


Advertisement
Published: July 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

EAG "Adventure" RidersEAG "Adventure" RidersEAG "Adventure" Riders

Eighteen riders (representing 12 motorcyles) posed for a group photo on June 17, 2010. Shortly after this photo we headed out on our 1, 200 mile ride to Duluth, MN. Note the assorted array of rain gear. We all were very familiar with their use!

Evangel "Adventure" Ride To Duluth and the North Shore



Eighteen motorcycle riders representing 12 bikes ranging from HD, BMW's, Honda GoldWings and Shadows to Kawasakis participated in the 2nd Annual EAG Motorcycle Adventure. Our route took us from Bismarck to Duluth's North Shore, International Falls, Warroad and finally home to Bismarck. Four days and over 1,200 miles. It’s always amazing to see how easy friendships form when riders gather. What a great group we had this year and I am excited to ride with these great men and women in the future. The annual trip is fast becoming an event that EAG motorcyclists are anticipating.

Taking part in the EAG Adventure this year were: Cal and Carla Bender, Trent and Kari Christianson, Pastor Roger and Eide Will, Bruce and Sharon Walth, Jon Patch and his daughter Taylor, Karen Baggenstoss, Linda Sitz, Jeff Roper, Forrest and Alyce Ecklund, Darrel Rau, Bob Dauenhauer and Rob Keller.

DAY One: Bismarck to Duluth...Started Out In Rain, but ended in Sunshne

The ride started out on a rainy Thursday, June 17. We all arrived at Evangel around 7:00 am with rain gear on and our gas tanks full. One thing I noticed was that in spite of the rain, smiles were on all faces as we anticipated what adventure was awaiting us the next four days. Several riders met each other for the first time but by the time we departed all were talking like old friends...I gues riding a motorcycle does that to a person!

I said all arrived at Evangel with the exception of one person. Kari Christianson was going to ride her Harley Davidson but missed her flight from Orlando. the plan was to meet her husband Trent somewhere between Minneapolis and Fargo and then ride "two up" and catch up with us inDuluth. I know that Kari was bery dissapointed she was not able to ride her bike. More on how that all turned out later in the blog. In fact, Kari will tell you in her own words.

After a "bike blessing" by Christian Motorcyclist Association (CMA) Bismarck Chapter President Jeff Roper, we made one more check of the bikes, secured our gear, zipped up the bulky rainsuits, and climbed aboard our respective bikes. Twelve bikes can stretch out over quite a distance and it sure looked awesome". Our first of many gas stops was in Jamestown where we had breakfast. Some bikes could go over 200 miles before needing "petro" but we all decided that after approximately 100 miles we need to stop for gas...or maybe it was to stretch our muscles!

The rain never really did affect us on our way to Duluth. It was as if God was opening the path right before us. Once we were past Fargo, the skies became blue and the scenery was great. One can smell freshly cut hay, dairy and hog farms, roadkill and just about every other smell...all from the front seat of your bike.

From Fargo we took Highway 10 and 210 east to Duluth. This route is very scenic and well worth the ride with lots of curves, forested areas and small communities. We could tell we were getting close to Duluth becasue the temperature started to drop from the "lake effect" winds. Those with short sleeves definately felt the effects of the "wind chill" by the time we pulled in to College of Saint Scholastica. After navigating some pretty high hills on our bikes, supper at Appleebee's and after some confusion on the college rooms we finally settled in for the night.

NOTE: As we were biking toward Duluth, storms were builind behnd us (West). We were always able to stay about one hour ahead but little did we know what was happening behind us. The Sunday Star Tribune headlines were, "A Night of Tornadoes, Deaths, Destruction." Officials said that three people died while as many as 40 twisters struck across Minnesota. We stopped for gas at Wadena and that is where two people died later that day. I heard that this was the worst one-day tally of tornadoes in Minnesota history. All this time, we were worried about Trent and Kari Christianson who were meeting us in Duluth.

Day Two Up the North Shore to Split Rock Lighthouse

After eating a hearty college breakfast, we saddled up and headed to the Duluth watefront (Canal Park) area to take in some of the scenery. It was beautiful morning to walk and take in the sites from the old "draw bridge", to lighthouses to icre cream. Offering more than beautiful lake views and charming shops and restaurants, Duluth's waterfront is an expression of art. A series of prized sculptures representing the social, cultural and historical values of Duluth and its Sister Cities in Vaxjo, Sweden; Thunder Bay, Ontario; Perozavodsk, Russia; and Ohara, Japan.

Duluth was originally settled by Sioux and Chippewa and eventually claimed for France in 1679. There are 184,000 people living within an 30-mile radius. Oh, and in case you want to know, it's 2,342 freshwater miles from the Atlantic Ocean to Duluth via the Great Lakes/St. Lawrence Seaway.

We rode across the Duluth Aerial Bridge which was originally built in 1905, upgraded in 1929-30 to the current lifting design and continues to operate today. The bridge can be raised to its full height in about 3 minutes, and goes up 25 to 30 times daily during busy parts of the shipping season. The span is about 390 feet. As ships pass, there is a customary horn-blowing sequence which is copied back. Long-short-long-short means to raise the bridge, and Long-short-short is a friendly salute.

Beginning at Canal Park in Duluth, Minnesota's North Shore Scenic Drive is a journey through an unspoiled wilderness that kisses the sweeping shoreline of the world's largest freshwater lake. The breathtaking cliffs and beaches of Lake Superior's beautiful North Shore are bordered by the Sawtooth Mountains and thousands of acres of pine, aspen and birch trees. Rivers and streams make their rocky way to the lake, forging dazzling waterfalls along the way. Lighthouses recall the awesome power of the mighty lake, and dozens of trails allow visitors to experience the North Shore's natural beauty up close. Friendly communities are home to cultural and historic museums and exhibits, as well as unique shopping, dining and lodging. We drove slow to take it all in.

Gooseberry Falls was a great introduction to the North Shore. We followed the trail from the visotor center to the sets of falls, upper, middle and lower. Due to the lack of precipitation the falls could literally be walked across in some places. Listening to the thundering road of the falls was relaxing...

Next stop down the road was the Split Rock Lighthouse. The structure was completed in 1910 by the United States Lighthouse Service at a cost of $75,000, including the buildings and the land. It was built in response to the loss of ships during the famous Mataafa Storm of 1905, in which 29 ships were lost on Lake Superior. The light was first lit on July 31, 1910.

It is built on a 130-foot sheer cliff. The lighthouse lens floats on a bearing surface of liquid mercury. The lens is rotated by an elaborate clockwork mechanism that is powered by counterweights running down the center of the tower. When completed, the lighthouse was lighted with an incandescent oil vapor lamp that burned kerosene. In 1940, the station was electrified and the lamp was replaced with a 1000 watt electric bulb.

The light was retired in 1969 by the U. S. Coast Guard. The lighthouse is now part of the Split Rock Lighthouse State Park. The site includes the original tower and lens, the fog signal building, the oil house, and the three keepers' houses. It is restored to appear as it did in the late 1920s. Notwithstanding that the light has been retired, every November 10 the lighthouse emits a light in memory of the SS Edmund Fitzgerald which sank on that date in 1975.

And to top off the evening ride back to Duluth we stopped at the World Famouse "Bettys Pies" to replenish those calories we burned off walking aroudn Split Rock! The establishment began in 1956 when Betty thought it would be a good idea to have some goodies for the fishermen when they stopped in, so she started making donuts and coffee for them to enjoy.

Well, one thing led to another and Betty began selling hamburgers and hot dogs. Customers didn't really like looking at dead fish while they were eating, so in 1958 Betty turned the old fish stand into a cafe that she named "Betty's Cafe". She also added pies to her menu.

Eventually Betty expanded the café by adding a lunch counter and more seating, of course the pie selection expanded too. People were now beginning to make it a regular stop on their way to cabins and resorts along the North Shore. I hear she send sher pies worldwide.

Day Three to Warroad via International Falls

We woke up this morning to cloudy skies and a bit on the windy side. Of course that calls for putting on our rain gear. I watched some put theirs on and it can be quite comical as we struggle and strain to get the clumsy suits over our riding gear...but there is a purpose to this madness...it keeps us dry. There is nothing worse while riding than to be wet and cold. This was a day of riding to get to our Warroad destination. Northern Minnesota is covered with lots of trees which made us always on the lookout for moose and deer. Thankfully, the only critters we saw were already dead and lying along the side of the road.

International Falls is located on the Rainy River directly across from Ontario, Canada. The city has long promoted itself as the "Icebox of the Nation" although that day it was in the 70s! The lowest recorded temperature was −40°F in February of 2008.

We stopped at a quaint and interesting coffee shop in town to take a break and remove our rain gear. In 1997, Sheila Johnson brought a small batch roaster to Minnesota, and began employing the lessons taught to her by Ed Dunn of Dunn Brothers Coffee. North Woods Coffee Roasters was born. She served up her premium roasted coffee in her shop in Ranier called the Coffee Landing. We hear she is selling it and moving on.

The Can-Am hotel in Warroad was prettying inviting after a long days ride. We had supper at the Lake View restaurant. It really did have an awesome view of Lake Superior. After three days of riding, it was coming to a close.

Day Four: 450 milies to Bismarck

As was customary (rain) we donned our rain gear and after devotions we headed out for Bismarck. But not before Pastor Roger had a great message for al the fathers as today was Fathers Day. He even gave us fathers a nice gift...a multipurpose flashlight with lots of attachements.

At Grand Forks some proceeded to Bismarck while the remainder ate at the Red Pepper, a longtime college eating hangout. Met up with Jon Patch's daughter Heather, who also happens to work at the Red Pepper.

We took some back roads home to Bismarck travelling to Valley Cith via Sibley and Lake Ashtabula. Many had not seen the High Line bridge north of Valley City. At 3,860 feet long and 162 feet above the river bed, the Highline Bridge is one of the longest and highest single-track railroad bridges in the nation.

EPILOGUE

Our ending mileage for the "Adventure Ride" was around 1,200 miles. The North Shore drive is definately one of the best rides in North America. From forests to streams, lighthouses, waterfalls, regional foods, winding road, Lake Superior and of course the people, it's an unbelievable mix. Traveling via motorcycle puts us face-to-face with everyone. There's no class distinction among riders...we ride different bikes but we wave to each other. We are very blessed to live in such a beautiful part of the world. God has blessed all of us as well with the ability to communicate with each other and to share each other's happiness and sorrow. The group of close-knit EAG riders were awesome and I hope they all return for next year's ride...it's shaping up to be GLACIER NATIONAL PARK!

Now, let's hear from some of the riders....

Linda Sitz:

"I had fear about the “unknown” going into this Duluth motorcycle trip. I honestly wasn’t sure I would be able to make it since I have only ridden motorcycle for 9 months and I knew I would be riding with experienced riders who did not know me. On Thursday morning when we started our trip with so many clothes on in addition to my rain suit it was very hard to move much less drive. I have struggled before driving in the ND winds but after this trip I laugh at this old fear. Rain, tornado winds and I-94 speed was an interesting way to start this adventurous motorcycle trip. From this trip I grew in my personal strength and confidence in my riding ability. I faced conditions and situations I was not sure I could succeed at. I meet some incredible people on the ride, many who were very uneasy about seeing so many bikers in one spot. One elderly lady had such fear on her face when I approached her until I smiled and started talking to her; she actually helped me back into my chaps when I had problems zipping them back together, she learned something good about bikers at that moment, we bikers can laugh at ourselves and are normal people with a different type of passion. I often tell others they can do something but rarely say that to myself, I pray all the time for Gods direction and guidance when faced with issues and depend on Him often rather than my own ability or strength. This trip gave me an opportunity to think through some issues I was facing at work and in my personal life while I was racing down the roadways. It gave me time to talk to God and hear his voice. I learned many things about myself and my dependence on my God. At the end of the ride I had people say to me they were very apprehensive about having two single gals riding with them on this trip. They did not think we would be able to do it and they worried they might have to cater to us because we were single gals. This surprised both of us single gals as we never gave it a thought to ask for help. On all my motorcycle travels I ask God often for help and this ride confirmed once again to me if I keep my faith in God and draw on his strength I CAN DO things outside my comfort zone and feel great about it when I am done. I completed a “bucket list” item now on to the next adventure."

Linda...you were an amazing asset to our ride. I hope this is one of many "advenutres" that await you on your "bucket list".

Trent and Kari Christianson each ride their own HDs but they had to make some quick changes to their itinerary after Kari missed her flight from Orlando to Bismarck. Trent is one calm guy. I have really gotten to know Trent and Kari and they are an awesome couple whose love for each other shows. Thanks guys.

"Wow what a trip. Kari pretty much covered all the fine details. Rob, thanks a lot for organizing and leading a group this big, that isn't a small job,you really are gifted. I think this trip was the most relaxing trip I have ever been on, it was so nice to fellowship and build new friendships. I look forward to riding more with everyone again, short and long trips. I had a blast on the trip, even though we had some storm chasing going on, we really do serve a mighty God, he directed us the whole way.this trip is definitely one that i am putting on the list to repeat someday, some really beautiful country. Thanks again Rob." (Trent Christianson).

And Kari's story:

"What an adventure! Getting to make new friends and ride with them it doesn't get much better. The riding was great but the best part of this adventure was the getting to spend time with the people and getting to know each of them. What a great bunch. God richly blessed us with great weather from Duluth to home. Seeing the beauty of God's creation up close and personal, there just aren't words to describe how great that is. The freedom of the ride the freedom of talking to your Savior and the only interruption is the distraction of the beauty of His creation around you. The trip, once we got to Duluth was pretty smooth going, Goosebery Falls was gorgeous. The walk and the fellowship there was great. The weather was beautiful. Split Rock Lighthouse was phenomenal. Even the 232 stairs were ok once they were conquered and the pictures were worth the climb. Thanks so much Rob for your great leadership, what a great gift you have."

"Getting to meet up with everyone was an adventure in itself. Trent picked me up in Fergus Falls (getting to Fergus was an adventure for me, but that's another story). The weather was gorgeous there but as we were deciding to NOT to put our rain suits on it began to sprinkle and the clouds didn't look that bad so we went on for about 10 miles before we had to stop, in the rain, and put them on. We rode in rain, to some degree the whole day. At around 3:30 the rain started to get too heavy to see clearly and we started to see lightening, we saw an abandoned gas station and thought we could take shelter under the canopy but it was blocked off by orange fence, Next to the gas station was a roadside cafe' that we turned into instead. They had the radio on and were listening to the weather reports, they didn't sound very promising to us. As the announcer was ticking off the location of three tornados a gentleman was pointing out the locations on a large map on the wall, we were surrounded by Three tornados and it sounded like they were coming our way. Trent and I were talking about trying to out run them, I know probably not a good idea but it was an option, when a waitress shouted RUN, and we all took off. We got on our bike and by the time we got on the bike and turned toward her house on the other side of the highway she had disappeared. We parked the bike and ran with another lady from the cafe to an open house in hopes that it was this waitresses. nobody was in there and we yelled but nobody answered, we all figured we were in shelter and whoever lived in this house wouldn't mind. We stood at the front door and watched the debris fly everywhere, all I thought was I hope the house stays standing and the bike is still there when this is all over. At that point all we could do was pray God's protection over us and the people in this little house and over our vehicles. After the debris was done flying around people started coming up from the basement and the little house was all of the sudden very full. The rain let up a little I went out to look at the bike, I slowly walked around the corner of the garage we were parked beside and saw the bike was still standing but there was a huge dent in the tank and a tree down in front of it and 2 x 4's laying beside it. We took pictures and the names of two of the waitresses from the restaurant just in case the insurance needed witnesses and went on our way. WOW the devastation. There were electrical lines down on the highway, trees uprooted. A house was off it's foundation, the out buildings were nothing but kindling. All this only about a half mile from where we were. Again God's had of protection on us. What an awesome God we serve. We got to Brainerd and stopped for gas and potty. I checked in with Rob to let them know where we were, so they didn't worry, Thanks for your prayers guys, God definitely honored them. We got on the bike and took off. The clouds were ugly but we were still in the outrun them mode. About 25 miles down the road I realized I had left my phone back at the gas station, Oops! The highway was dry and we could see sunshine peeking through behind us but the clouds in front of us were pretty ominous. We turned around and went back to get my phone, it was dry the whole way back. By the time we got my phone and got back to where we turned around there was a lot of water on the road, so we figured we must have just missed the storm. Praise the Lord. We did still have little bits of rain off and on to Duluth but nothing like we had seen earlier that day. Trent climbing into bed that night chose that time to inform me that he had only 2 hours of sleep in the last 32 hours. God sustained him through all of that, what a miracle." (Kari Christianson)

From Jeff Roper

"What a delightful trip. Enjoyed every moment and the companionship enjoyed by myself and everyone else. There were some great, interesting things to see along the way. Northern MN is quite a pretty place with all the green and trees. Besides the scenery and wildlife to behold, God's wonder for us, just being away from the every day events in our lives and to have peace, peace above all understanding, alone time with ourselves, riding down the highway is beyond compare. Sitting around in a group, sharing our "upbringing," testimony, if you will, was a delight and the fellowship was awesome. The poem from Linda and Karen was delightful, to say the least. Thank you both. The black duck that had flown in from the gulf, way to go John. I thought Rob did an outstanding job, along with Pastor Roger with devotions and leadership throughout the ride and I say "Thank you." Looking forward to next year, God willing. In HIS service." (Jeff Roper)

Take care everyone and I hope you enjoy the travel blog and photos.

In His Service,
Rob Keller

"Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window." ~Author Unknown


Additional photos below
Photos: 74, Displayed: 37


Advertisement

Duluth Aerial BridgeDuluth Aerial Bridge
Duluth Aerial Bridge

I heard some stories that you used to be able to ride the bridge up and down...but that must have been a long time ago!


7th October 2010
Darrel Rau

Nice Picture
This Montana Darrel?
8th October 2010
Darell Rau truly was agentlemen...he always kept our windscreens free from bugs...and there were lots of MN bugs!  Thanks Darell.

Hello Darrel
I worked for you in Montana 21 years ago. Nice to run into your picture and happy your enjoying life and traveling! Kudos...
28th July 2012

Beautiful Photos! Recognized old friend Darrel Rau!
Used to work for Darrel thinning beets back in 1989-90? Darrel I'm so happy you are enjoying yourself! That you left Glendive,Mt! Way to go! Looks fun. God Bless your motorcycle club!
12th October 2012

Digby, Nova Scotia ride
Rob, Thanks for all the details of another "ADVNTR" ride...lots of great sights to behold in the banks of memory for later reflections after getting old and having to sit and think of all the places that God has created and allowed us to visit. I would be glad to excahnge some email traffic with you and would like to get some details of some of your northern rides as I am down below Atlanta, Ga myself. Thanks and ride safe, Tony Spires email:tonyspires@yahoo.com
24th November 2012

Ride to the North
Tony, sorry it took so long to respond. This summer rode to Churchill on Hudson Bay and kayaked with over 300 Beluga whales. Totally awesome. My email is rokeller1@gmail.com so shoot me an email and we can share some ride ideas. I am always looking for more and interesting rides. Rob Keller

Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0813s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb