Moores Creek National Battlefield


Advertisement
Published: March 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Earthworks and CannonEarthworks and CannonEarthworks and Cannon

This is a cannon behind the earthworks at the battlefield.
I'll start with my latest trip.

When I think of North Carolina I think of history. And yesterday's trip goes all the way back to February 27, 1776.

Here militias of British Loyalists made up of mostly Scottish Highlanders confronted American Patriots. Well prepared with cannons and earthworks the Patriots easily won victory in the battle and a moral victory of a smaller force beating back a larger British force.

Today the park is mostly a pathway that weaves its way back and forth across Moores Creek with interpretive signs of the battle. The path is about a mile long.

There's also a small trail that explains the making of turpentine, pitch, and tar for navy use.

Away from the interpretive area is a large sheltered picnic area.

This park is run by the National Parks Service which mans a small visitors center and bookstore. The location is out in country, so bring drinks, food, and anything else you might want. There are occasional gas stations with mini-marts in the area, but these are subject to closings at any time.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb