Cows and skiing in Sapphire Valley


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » North Carolina » Sapphire
January 18th 2021
Published: January 18th 2021
Edit Blog Post

On the road and happened upon this overlook in Sky ValleyOn the road and happened upon this overlook in Sky ValleyOn the road and happened upon this overlook in Sky Valley

On the road and happened upon this overlook in Sky Valley
This long weekend Cheryl and I decided to run away to Helen, GA for the weekend. For those that do not know, Cheryl is my twin sister and we have a habit of impromptu road trips from time to time. We decided on Helen, Georgia because we have beach plans for Spring Break and we have fun memories of Helen in our college years.

For about 3 years we would go with our college girlfriends and brother to tent camp in Helen during Octoberfest. I will have to share those pictures when we get back. We had some super fun times at the Sleepy Hollow campground way back when.

Getting ready for the trip was a little bitter sweet. It felt very awkward that me and Timmy would be traveling with Cheryl and her girls. Not having Kirby on the trip was going to be different and a little sad. Over the years the 6 of us have had countless adventures. Not having him along was going to be noticeable and sad.

Getting there

Of course we know how to get to Atlanta without Google but in the land of technology we take the Google path. Lots of cows and back roads until we made it to I-75.

We laughed because every time we would pass a cow pasture someone would comment, ‘oh, look cows.’ Then there would be a conversation if they were laying down or not and if they really meant if it was going to rain or not. Oh, look they are eating grass. Anywho, lots of cow talk. PS: Steaks are not planted. They actually come from the cow.

Getting to Helen took longer than expected due to pit stops, getting gas, a quick Target run (for bathing suits – there is an indoor pool at the hotel and the air mattress I forgot).

So after cow talk, road rage, Cheryl’s review of every restaurant in Helen and a few dance parties we arrived in Helen.

We drive into Helen and it looks exactly like we remember. A little German themed town with the Christmas lights still throughout the town. The kids thought it looked so cool.

Let the adventuring begin

We didn’t have a set in stone plan. Cheryl had 3 different breakfast places she wanted to go to and a few places she wanted to shop.

We woke up and Cheryl opened the window and wouldn’t you know it was snowing.

A couple of Google searches later breakfast is off the table and we are going to find snow.

Cheryl and I have two pairs of leggings on, Nicole has leggings and holey jeans and two shirts, Timmy has three shirts and joggers and Brooke has holey jeans and a sweater. We could probably survive in 50 degree weather but it was about 37 degrees. We grab hats, ear warmers and every jacket we brought and head out the door.

We initially thought we were going to go to a fake snow tubing place about 30 miles away. According to Google maps the 30 miles was going to take an hour. What! I can make 30 miles in 30 mins. HA! Wrong! The pig trails that we had to take to get to this place took us around every bend and up and down every hill.

We come across the fake snow tubing place and I tell everyone that there is a ski lodge 30 more miles or so away. Well, we are already in the car and they all agree we should go ski. YOLO!!

We do not have a clue about snow (that we are currently driving in) nor do we have any knowledge of anything about skiing.



Sapphire Valley

Website: https://skisapphirevalley.com/

This resort offers tubing and skiing. Since COVID the skiing and tubing are first come first serve. No reservations online. We had an idea that we might not be able to get to do any of the activities but we were already committed that we were going to check this place out.

We pull into the resort and follow the signs to the ski lodge.

Well, we were not the only people that thought of skiing on a snowy day. Lucky for us we found a front park right by the Community Center. A little ray of hope came across us that this might actually work out.

We get up to the area where all the action is happening and start reading signs. Lots of questions from the peanut gallery that I have absolutely no answers for.

It is about lunchtime so we decide to eat at the Tavern that is on the property right outside the ski slopes. The restaurant had outdoor and indoor seating. We chose inside (b/c we were not in snow bunny attire!).

The Tavern has less than 10 tables, a full bar with about 12 bar stools around it. It was a nice place to relax and figure out how we navigate this ski lodge.

While Cheryl got us a table the kids roam around a little and I find a super nice worker name Patrick that did not make me feel like an idiot and explained how everything worked.

Turns out they were sold out of ski lift tickets until 3:30pm. We killed an hour eating. The food was good and reasonably priced and the have sweet tea. Our sandwiches were $12 - $13 and they were very filling. I have the buffalo chicken wrap and it was so big and delicious.

I did have a moment at the table while we were eating. In my mind I was figuring out what pictures we were going to take. One of me and Cheryl, one of Brooke and Nicole and then Timmy. Tears just fell. This is the first trip with me, Cheryl and the kids that Kirby isn’t on. Timmy doesn’t have his brother. Brooke doesn’t have her riding buddy. It was just too much and overwhelmed me. I compose myself and we all finish lunch.

We roamed around the gift shop and more were asked from the peanut gallery that none of us had answers to. This is about the time frustration kicked in with everyone and we were ready to give up.

I happened upon Patrick again and next thing you know we are starting the process of getting boots, skis and maybe proper skiing attire.



Ski School

Being the ski virgins that we are we were not aware of the boot and ski fitting process. We signed the waiver, paid and were sent over to the area where we picked up our boots. We were not aware that they had to fit so snug and it was a little act of congress to get your foot in the boot and latched shut.

We were able to get one ski bib for Brooke but the rest of us had to just deal with what we had. That is what happens we you fly by the seat of your pants. You have to adapt and move on.

We quickly learned the ski boot walk of heel to toe walking. When we walked it kind of looked like you were bopping along to some beat in your head. It was a happy little bop.

After the boots you need to get fitted for skis so we heel/toe it over to the ski rental area. We have to take one boot off in order to be sized. We wiggle off the boot to the attendant and then we are handed back our boot and our skis. We are off. Kind of.

We now have shoes and purses and other things we need to put somewhere. We noticed that people were leaving things hanging around so I feel we could have left our shoes and stuff in a pile but since the car was so close we just heel/toed it to the car. While we were at the car we did decide we needed gloves.

We went into the gift shop and found reasonably priced waterproof gloves and a souvenir magnet.

While we were waiting we overheard a couple of people ask about Ski School. Turns out you can only go to Ski School if you have a lift ticket. Some parents were wanting to get lessons for their kids in preparation for their lift tickets the next day. So, no lessons unless you have a lift ticket.

All settled now off to Ski School.

Ski School

Ski School was very inexpensive and we would have paid more. We had absolutely no clue what we were doing. We would have been flat on our back in 3 seconds.

Our instructor Zachary walks us up to the escalator on the little bunny hill. No skis yet. Well good thing! The 5 and 6 year olds zooming down the hill and getting on the escalator make it look like a piece of cake. Nope, that thing does stop moving so you better get on and with the quickness.

There are two workers at the beginning of the escalator to guide you on and press the stop button if needed (we did witness the stop button being used).

At the top of the hill Zachary schools us the ins and outs of the skis and we put one ski on and walk around in a circle like little ducks. Let me just say this, if you have never put on a ski before it is a very different experience. Life will flash in front of your eyes, you will question why in the world you are on the biggest highest hill on these slippery ass things and figure out a way to walk down this hill to the closest watering hole.

Undeterred by mine and Cheryl’s fears Zachary shows us the most important lesson. The plow. That’s how you stop. Yeppers, I like that move.

Next thing you know we are all safely down the hill and we want to do this again. Yippee!! How many emotions can one person go through in 10 minutes!

Up the escalator, down the hill with more skills, up the escalator, more lessons and then Zachary informs us we are ready for the big hill. Cheryl and I look at each other like who is he talking to. Apparently he was speaking to us. Huh?!

Ok, before we head up this ski lift please take a picture of us before we are battered and bruised.

He gives us instructions on how to get on and off the ski lift. We hear stand up, sit down, tips up, something about a bar you raise up and down. I couldn’t hear the instructions over my inner voice screaming WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!!!

We somehow make it on the ski lift. Timmy is with Zachary, Brooke and Nicole are next and Cheryl and I were in the lift behind them.

We get up to the top and can’t exactly figure out what we are doing. Good news is there were signs to remind us. We look up and see Brooke’s head pop up and quickly go down then we see Nicole’s little head pop up and go down. The lift stops and we immediately start laughing that Brooke fell off the lift and took Nicole down with her.

Oh, that was not going to happen to us! We get off that lift like professionals and continue to laugh at Brooke.

We start down the hill and Timmy, Brooke and Cheryl head down. Zachary stayed behind with me and Nicole. Nicole fell and Zachary helped her up. The last part of the hill is pretty steep. That is what gives it the blue rating. We were told to hug the right hand side because it is flatter. We make it down the hill and find the rest of them wanting to go down again. Zachary tells us the lesson is over, gives us a few more tips and we head up for round two.

Of course the second time down Cheryl and I take turns falling and eventually made it down the hill. The last part is so scary. I do not like feeling out of control and that last little bit will make your heart skip a beat.

The kids take a little break and we end up bringing snacks out of the car. Have snacks will travel. The kids head up and we stay down to take video.

This time Brooke and Nicole come flying down. We are watching them as we curl our toes wondering if they will stop in time. They did so whew. We see Timmy coming in hot behind them and then he falls hard. I think he lost a ski. It is dark now and he is a little off to the left where it is a little darker. We see him struggling and I yell out to him. His response was, ‘I’m fine Mommy!’. Uh, ok. Not much I can do because I have skis on and holy moly it is hard to walk in those things. Next thing you know he is off the side of the hill in complete darkness. Ummm, Tim!!! Here he comes gliding down the rest of the hill screaming about he was cut off. Whatever dude.

They go a couple more times. The last time the kids came down they look so confident and they looked so comfortable. Of course it was not properly documented. Ugh! Cheryl and I wanted to go again on the big hill but we second guessed ourselves and decided on the bunny hill one last time before we headed back to the hotel.

We had no clue our day would entail skiing but man are we glad it did. We had a ball. We are already planning our trip for next year.

We headed back the way we came through the hills and around the bends. I was kind of glad we couldn’t see the cliffs along the road.

We got back and the kids tried out the indoor pool for about 15 minutes and we all called it a night. What a day! Tomorrow is a new set of adventures.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb