Hitaus on delay...

United States' flag
North America » United States » North Carolina » Raleigh
January 7th 2017
Published: January 7th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Well, I assume all my North Carolina folks are looking to say "told ya" but jokes on you because Delta hasn't canceled OR delayed my flight yet! Or any of their flights this morning! I know right! All other airlines have canceled morning flights to atleast mid-morning (as of this posting). 2 Delta flights that were scheduled out this morning (all flying west) are currently on the runway (again as of this posting) but even that was after a delay. So maybe they leave.

But RDU taxi doesn't have any taxis on the road and couldn't provide eta of when someone would be available OR how long it would take them to come. No Ubers either. Delta phone line - 2 hour wait. Delta App - flight status on schedule.

Only option would have been to drive myself and then have someone come get my car from airport parking. I did put that contingency in place btw. Because yes I'm a planner. Dropped off my spare key at my friend Eric's house yesterday. I even went outside when I realized this is what I would need to do and stood in my driveway so the freezing rain could hit my face. And then I turned around and found out one of the benefits of the lovely Round the World ticket:

Dedicated support staff - answered in 2 rings

The challenge of finding a seat was something else. And while I am now on a flight out for tomorrow the 8th instead of today, I'll honestly say I don't know if I have a seat. Since first time there were no options for Sunday and then at a final look back a "seat opened up". But a girl has to take what she can during a State of Emergency.

For all my northern peps, when you look at the picture you may first say that looks like nothing! Well, I took a side picture so you could note the layer of ice. In North Carolina that layer is a show stopper. Now add in an early AM flight, it's game over.

And for those of you wondering, yes I did clean out my fridge yesterday in preparation for this flight. So during this winter lockdown, I don't have any real food. But as you recall, I'm a planner so I did buy a Subway footlong yesterday, which will be in a great state of soggy when I need to eat it later today. I also have some extra protein bars I bought to take on my trip with me. Contingency plans are everything.

Until tomorrow from the airport (fingers crossed)!


7th January 2017

Timing is everything
I'm watching the news and the roads look possibly drivable so hoping a cab or uber can get you. Maybe try and go later this afternoon just to get there? Or wait til Friday when it's 68 degrees. ☺️
8th January 2017

I don't think so
I AM NOT waiting until Friday Patrick. I veto your suggestion.
7th January 2017

Good luck
Tora, Good luck and enjoy. Expose every culture and history. But, to be careful and not to over dependant or trust everyone on streets in a new tourist town/country is called being safer. We love you. Can you please send me your day-to-day itinaries?
9th January 2017

Time to gooooo!
Hope you make it there today (Monday) and the snow holds up for your flight! Safe travels!

Tot: 0.199s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0578s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb