Family Camp Out


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » North Carolina » Newland
August 20th 2011
Published: September 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Camping out has always been one of my favorite pastimes. As a Florida boy I always looked forward to a summer trip to NC and quality time in the mountains. I think camping out, hiking, rafting, fishing, and exploring various waterfalls and mountain peaks is great fun! Since we moved to Asheville in 2004 I always thought my family would be out every weekend hiking in the Pisgah National Forest or sitting around a campfire. This, of course, is not a realistic expectation. Life is full and our schedule of school, soccer, and church activities keep us in town. As a result, our family has not camped out as much as we would like.

In between soccer tryouts and the beginning of school we ceased the opportunity to load up the car and enjoy some time in the great outdoors. We found a private campground up in Linville and pitched a tent for the night. After I made the kids collect kindling wood (all part of the experience) I built a fire and we laid our tin foil dinners down into the hot coals.

Andrew found some nice long sticks to roast marshmallows and Katherine helped Janine set the table for dinner. We ate our delicious concoctions out of our tin foil containers by candlelight. Shortly after that I stoked the fire and the kids got busy making smores for dessert. Andrew quickly bacame the expert marshmallow roaster. Our dog Snickers was with us and I'm sure he enjoyed the delicious morsles that fell to the ground from dinner and dessert.

After enjoying some meaningful conversation we piled into our 4-man tent. Mighty close quarters for 4 grown people and a dog on top of my sleeping bag. Of course, we are even closer now as a family from that night together.

The morning consisted of a simple breakfast of toasted bagels over the fire. We then broke camp and drove a short distance over to Linville falls. We hiked all 3 trails and admired the deep blue sky over the majestic river and waterfalls. It was one of the prettiest days of the summer. Hiking in the woods is so relaxing for Janine and I. It somehow triggers fond memories of other hikes and campout experiences. The kids hung in there and Snickers helped tow Katherine uphill when she grew tired of walking. The two of them are quite a pair.

A sweet bag of homemade trail mix was our reward when we returned to the car. We continued to take in the beauty of our surroundings as we drove home. Living this close to such amazing mountian views is truly a blessing!

Our bodies began to ache on Saturday night from sleeping on the ground and exercising our muscles hiking. All four of us were thankful for our soft pillows and comfy beds.

Lord of all Creation, thank you for reminding us of your life-giving power. We stand in awe of what you have created and how you continue to bring forth life in our beautiful world. May you bless the memory of this weekend together and help provide more opportunities for our family to bond while exloring the incredible mountains that are so close to our home. Amen.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0548s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb