Outer Banks 2


Advertisement
Published: March 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Early Morning AtlanticEarly Morning AtlanticEarly Morning Atlantic

The first walk along the beach
Outer Banks, NC - Day 2

The wind had died down considerably over night and sunshine was bright and plentiful. The 3 of us headed to the beach and after living on the left coast for over 45 years was surprised by the smaller wave size and the Atlantic's lack of intensity. However this probably made the beaches endless in both directions. The sand was very fine and easy to walk on. I took a few photos and then we were off on a new adventure.

The destination was Ocracoke Island, yes an island only reachable from Hatteras by ferry which shockingly was free. The drive down Hatteras was a series of small towns separated by large chunks of National Seashore. Each town was different than the last and the further south we went the more quaint and less commercial they became.

Arriving at the town of Hatteras at the southern end of the island, where all roads seemed to lead to the ferry staging area for the continuation of highway 12. With 40 minutes to wait, Emily hit the ground and visited all of the stores within 10 minutes of the parking area. She returned just before
Endless ShorelineEndless ShorelineEndless Shoreline

Beach looking south
boarding without a single item in hand (I was shocked also). We were in an outside row on the ferry, so we could see without being blown over by the off-shore wind.

Ocracoke was the quaintest of all villages with narrow streets, 25 mph speed limit, seasoned building (OK old and kinda rundown), and a visitor center at the very south end of the island where another ferry provided another waterway connection to highway 12 on Cedar Island. There is much to explore there, but we will save it for another time as we were running out of daylight and Emily was hungry.

Back to the ferry just in time for the 6 PM launch. It worked out really well which is often the case with photographers who are constantly ready for the next great photo opportunity. The sun was setting off the stern of the ferry and offered several great chances to capture its brilliance. At moments like this, it is often difficult to use the camera with the majesty of nature all around. I returned to Sam and found my companions napping and soon joined them before our hour plus drive to Sophie.

A great
Hatteras Light HouseHatteras Light HouseHatteras Light House

Beautiful day on Hatteras
day with maybe a bit to much driving, but the memories are worth every moment.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Sun Ready to SetSun Ready to Set
Sun Ready to Set

Off the stern of the ferry


Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0603s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb