Cass Scenic Railroad & Fall Leaves


Advertisement
Published: October 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The past four days we have been overwhelmed with stunningly beautiful sights of fall leaves in full glowing color and I’m itching to share them. So I’m going to skip over a few blogs you’ll be getting letter -- a museum of antique brass trimmed cars outside Acadia Nat’l Park; a trolley ride in Steamtown, Stanton, PA; some new shots of Gettysburg; the Wright home Kentuck Knob outside Ohiopyle State Park, PA; the Green Bank National Radio Astronomy Observatory; and the recently restored lumber town of Cass, the last two both in West Virginia.
In Cass we were at the very peak of the fall leaves. Since then there have been a couple of storms which have blown off a lot of the leaves, and we’re now considerably south of WV so the leaves haven’t reached their peak yet.
So here are the fall leaves photos mixed in with shots of and from our ride on train #6, the largest Shay locomotive still running anywhere in the US. The ride was a delightful four and a half hours in an open car which went to the very top of the mountain, Bald Knob, 4,700 feet high, where we could look down the mountain to the Green Banks observatory.

PS -- This is our first WiFi connection in about 5-6 days.
See you all in about 3 days.

Paula & Bob




Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0393s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb