Beaufort NC


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » North Carolina » Beaufort
November 8th 2009
Published: November 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post



Good day to all,

We are currently sitting in Beaufort North Carolina,

Since we last wrote to you, we left Sandwich MA and have sailed all the way to Cape May. NJ, via New York, then down to Cape May NJ, up the Delaware and down the Chesapeake and to Beaufort via the ICW .

When leaving Sandwich, the timing for passing through the canal must be properly timed since there are very strong currents pushing (or pulling) you through. Once you come to the end of the canal, into Buzzards Bay, you must ensure the weather is in your favour since the waves, combined with the current in the bay, make for strong rip tides that churn around your vessel and make the ride quite bumpy (like being in a washing machine).

The sailing was uneventful all throughout Buzzards Bay and the Long Island Sound. We motored into Port Washington, NY to spend a couple of days, since yet another cold front was passing through with expected high winds. Hard to believe that it would get so cold, since it was 25 degrees Celcius, sunny and hardly a ripple of wind while going into NY. It was so warm that, for the first time since leaving Nova Scotia, we were underway WITHOUT our tuques and mitts. Eric went to throw a T-shirt on, so I thought I would top that off and try to make my white chicken skin a little more golden by throwing on my bikini.... A little pre-mature for that... It stayed on about 14 seconds until the fluffy pants and sweater came right back on...

Port Washington had been recommended to us by sailors who had previously stayed there, as opposed to hooking a mooring at the 79th street boat basin in New York city. We were NOT disappointed. The city of Port Washington offers a couple nights FREE moorings to transient vessels passing through and there has a fantastic water taxi service that picks you up at your vessel to transport you to land. Thanks Matt and Amanda.. Your water taxi is the best ( ). It is a really nice bay that is well protected and we would recommend it to anyone passing through.

While sitting out the upcoming cold front in Port Washington, we had a delightful surprise... Our friend Nycole and Eric’s mom Donna drove down from Montreal to join us for the weekend. We all went to little Italy for lunch in Manhattan and had some great laughs together. We all had a great weekend and look forward to having them onboard again sometime soon.

Mum and Nycole left on Sunday around noon and we prepared for an overnight sail into Atlantic City, NJ. We left around 3:30PM since we once again had to


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



8th November 2009

dépêchez-vous !!!
Dépêchez-vous à vous rendre en Caroline du Sud: c'est le seul état américain ou il n'y a pas de H1N1 ... (jusquà vendredi dernier ) :-) j'ai hâte de parler à Nycole qu'elle me raconte de vive-voix !!! Yves
8th November 2009

Lien pour vous localiser
Bonjour, Je me souviens pas comment je suis tombé sur votre site mais j'aime bien suivre votre périple. C'est ce que j'appelle vivre par par procuration... Juste un petit commentaire, le lien pour vous localiser ne fonctionne pas dans la section française de votre site. Je dois aller en anglais pour pouvoir vous suivre. Bon vent Luc
10th November 2009

nov10
Good to see your blog bud.hoe far you going this year. I will be in barbadoes dec 2,carlial bay . keep in touch Capt Don

Tot: 0.237s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 14; qc: 97; dbt: 0.1468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb