NEW YORK CITY!!!!!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York
July 17th 2015
Published: June 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Arriving in Times SquareArriving in Times SquareArriving in Times Square

Like out of the movies, walking through the city with our backpacks did result in some looks.
Geo: 40.7528, -73.9853

Packed up and away we go, saying goodbye to our condo, the mountains, and the countryside. New York bound, we drove South, headed for LaGuardia to return our trusted rental car that we will no longer need. Instead, it will be walking, busing, and train riding for us. Driving to the airport was only made possible with the use of the gps. We did make it, dropped off the car, put on our backpacks and purchased our unlimited use, 7 day transit ticket. As we were learning to use the transit system, we missed the first bus, no thanks to the bus driver who declined to so much as even point us in the right direction. Some nice people did help us out and off we went. Bus ride to a train, then, Times Square. This system of transportation is so practical and efficient that I wish we had an similar way of getting around back home. The rides were uneventful, other than the NYC skyline coming into view. Just the size of the skyline itself is like nothing I have ever seen. We arrived after a little while at our stop, got out and proceeded up the stairs to the Big Apple above ground. As we stepped onto the sidewalk, we both just stopped and looked around. The buildings towered over and around us, led light displays everywhere, as well as signs, cars, and people. We walked into the middle of Times Square, still wearing our backpacks, just taking in as much as we could. I cant even begin to explain how much there is going on at one time. Everything is so big, colorful and busy. We basically had to tear ourselves away to go to the hotel room so we could drop our backpacks off and register. We walked no more than a block from the New Years ball corner of the square and entered our hotel, Row NYC. Wow, we are moving up in the world. The entrance was like a classy hotel from the movies. Complete with glass elevators, crystal chandeliers, and a retro lighted wall, this place is high class. Alex was carrying his camera set up for videography among other things, as we approached the counter. Fortunately for us, looking back, this was the only time the front desk was not crazy busy. We walked right up and met with the lady at the counter. I explained this was our first time in NYC and my son was hoping to get some good video from a high viewpoint if she had something available that would help. She not only gave us a good view, she upgraded us to a premium room, that was at the corner of the building on the 25th floor. We have a city view from two windows!!! Alex was so excited when we opened the door. The room was awesome, set in a modern style. The view incredible, although, I was not very thrilled at first to even walk in the room, seeing the buildings out the windows from the door. However, I now type this with a wonderful seat next to the window where I can watch the people on the street well below.
Taking to the streets, and quite hungry, we head to the middle of Times Square and a little Empanada hut. Mmmmm, Delicious. Refreshed and ready to go, we quickly learned to read the Train maps, give or take a couple missed stops, and visit, Little Italy, China Town, and Grand Central Station. So what did we do as we explored these places? We ate Cannoli and Gelato in Little Italy of course. We explored the markets of China Town, that include any type of fruit and vegetable, as well as any form of seafood imaginable. I am not sure how they not only got the exotic fish here alive, but have managed to keep them alive at the market. Off to Grand Central Station where we at first were unimpressed with what we saw when we exited the train. Alex was adamant that there was a clock in the middle so we must not be in the right place. He was right. We crossed the road and entered the main terminal, and it was huge. Right smack in the middle was a clock just as Alex said there would be.
We ended our day with dinner at Junior's, famous for their NY cheesecake. If you are wondering how it was, I can only say, Amazing.
We retired at the hotel, enjoying the lights below.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



26th July 2015

Wonderful adventures!! I am reliving some of them as you made your way through Time Square. I can't believe you ate at Juniors!! That is where I got the chocolate cheesecake that I made for Anthony's Birthday one year!! Little Italy is
the best. I am glad you had a wonderful time!! Love, Mom/Nana
30th July 2015

I enjoyed your enthusiasm with this entry, it's nice to see you come out of the woods and appreciate the big city too. Although you're probably denying it as you read this;)

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0401s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb