Chelsea Market Art exhibits


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York
March 23rd 2021
Published: March 27th 2021
Edit Blog Post

21st March - Chelsea Market Art exhibits #heygo http://www.heygo.com



What a gem of a building; the Chelsea Market, formerly the National Biscuit Company factory - currently a free exhibition of the work of artist Voodo Fe' celebrating Black History Month & Women’s History Month with seven-foot-tall portraits of notable figures using recycled bottle tops, corks, screws and regular house paint.

Having been on the Highline tour previously it was even more special to be inside one of the iconic buildings that we had passed by.



The area has always been the locus of food in the city, beginning with the Algonquin Indians, who traded their game and crops on the banks of the Hudson River at this same spot. The trains of the High Line once served the wholesale butchers who lined the streets beneath the tracks and cooled their provisions with blocks of Hudson River ice, and the National Biscuit Company established its factory—now reclaimed as the Chelsea Market—here to take advantage of the butchers’ lard in the nineteenth century. This long history—and the stripped-down brick architecture of the building—gives the Market a unique character.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement









Tot: 0.462s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 40; dbt: 0.1449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb