The Journey of Pennsylvania Train Station


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York
February 9th 2021
Published: February 10th 2021
Edit Blog Post

http://www.heygo.com 9th February- Penn Station

The original building was completed in 1910, enabling direct rail access to New York City from the south for the first time. The station contained 11 platforms serving 21 tracks. The original building was one of the first stations to include separate waiting rooms for arriving and departing passengers, and when built, these were among the city's largest public spaces.



The huge building had Doric columns, 150-foot ceilings and was shaped from the same stone as the Coliseum. Archive photographs of the interior show high vaulted spaces, with light pouring in and illuminating the building's numerous elegant features.



Passenger traffic began to decline after World War II, and in the 1950s, the Pennsylvania Railroad sold the property and shrank the railroad station.



For decades Penn Station was famous worldwide for giving its visitors a crowded, dank and generally unpleasant experience.

But in January 2021 a new design was unveiled which aims to rectify the loss caused when the station's original majestic concourse was demolished in 1963.



Costing $1.6 billion, the Moynihan Train Hall has been built in the Farley Post Office opposite
Penn Station.

Named after Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan who in the 1990s promoted the idea of using the post office building for Penn Station.



The Art Deco design clock hangs as an homage to the concourse clock in the old

Penn station and the iconic clock in Grand Central Terminal.



Four vaults that are each made from 500 glass and steel panels are supported on three massive steel trusses that supported the original roof in the internal courtyard.

Filled with natural light and art, it harks back to the railway station's glory days.



There are three art works which are amazing.



Penn Station’s Half Century by Stan Douglas

Inside the ticketed waiting room, there is a series of nine photographic panels of "remarkable but forgotten" moments of history from the original Penn Station.



Go by Kehinde Wiley

Backlit, stained-glass triptych that's inspired by Renaissance and Baroque paintings. It's a modern take on 18th-century ceiling frescoes, but features young, Black New Yorkers in poses inspired by breakdance.



The Hive by Michael Elmgreen and Ingar Dragset

An upside-down
cityscape with 91 small buildings mounted on the ceiling like glowing, 9-foot-tall stalactites, or like a hive of buildings that pay homage to the cities we live in. In total, they weigh more than 30,000 pounds and are lit by 72,000 LEDs


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement









Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0603s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb