Finger Lakes


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York
August 8th 2018
Published: August 9th 2018
Edit Blog Post

On Tuesday , we rode a very tough 94 miles from Geneseo to Seneca Falls. Greater than 4000 feet of climbing proved to challenge my stamina but the descents were worth every stroke. Long, smooth , fast descents were exhilarating. However, there was also ALOT of lolligagging (2 coffee stops, lunch, an ice cream stop and a quick outside tour of a well-known mansion in Seneca Falls) as well as Ken’s flat right after lunch ensured that we were the last riders in camp. I was completely exhausted but mustered up enough energy to go into town for pizza with Ken and Ruth. We are working collaboratively to give everyone a nickname - so far we have the usual geographic designations (Irish Mike from Dublin, Aussie Bob from Sydney, Dallas Kent and Erie Kent) as well as some more discreet, select nicknames based on behavior observed (Misery Cyclist, Cautious Terry) and appearance (Crazy Shoe Scott, Ponytail Terry). Ken and Ruth have been wonderfully entertaining cycling mates.
After spending the night in another hot gym due to a high chance of rain overnight, we set off from Seneca Falls to Oswego along Lake Cayuga and Seneca Lake and a couple other lakes that Ken was very familiar with but whose names elude me. Still more climbing over 77 miles and quite a bit of rain, but it was a warm rain with a fresh smell among the fields of corn and soybeans in the morning and the forested hills in the afternoon. We had a yummy dinner at a local pub where a large and quite talented group of cyclists serenaded me with a rousing rendition of Happy Birthday.
Tonight I am in a well air-conditioned gym, ready for a “short” 68 miles along Lake Erie tomorrow.
Happy Birthday to me.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0389s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb