Saratoga National Historical Park aka "The Battlefield"


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » Saratoga County
November 24th 2012
Published: November 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

What to do? Entertaining a houseful on the day after Thanksgiving! It’s a beautiful, crisp late fall day and everyone (age range 9 – 70ish) is feeling a little stuffed and in need of fresh air and exercise. Luckily we live near the Saratoga National Historical Park located in Stillwater New York. The Park offers a small museum dedicated to the Battle of Saratoga, said to be the turning point of the American Revolution, a walking trail, a tour road with MP3 or cell phone narrations, a plethora of monuments with interpretive signage and push button narrations, and scattered cannons (to play on). It’s a perfect balance of history, exercise, photo ops and family camaraderie!

We start at the Visitor Center with a 20 minute film, a well done synopsis of what happened here in 1777. The children seem entranced (this is a good sign). The Visitor Center serves as a mini museum with several dioramas, a collection of army (red coats included) and “camp follower” garb for the kiddies to try on, and a nice gift shop. The best part of the Visitor Center has to be the well versed and friendly rangers and docents (some in 18th century
The Memorial "The Boot"The Memorial "The Boot"The Memorial "The Boot"

After his near "sell out" of West Point, Benedict Arnold, the turncoat; but the hero of the Battle of Saratoga, could not be acknowledged by the Patriot's. This memorial of The Boot doesn't name him; but tributes his heroism (and horrific injury to his left leg) at this unmarked monument!
dress).

We hit the Wilkinson Trail well armed with a walking tour map, high energy and advice on how to shorten the walk from 7 to 2 miles (2 being more this crowd’s speed). Our turning point was the Breymann Redoubt, famed as where then hero (later turncoat) Benedict Arnold was badly injured. An unlabeled memorial to his “boot” (it was his left leg that suffered the gory injury) is nearby.

There are several ways to tackle a visit to the park. We had done the entire tour road on bicycles some years ago; and know of folks who have cross country skied here. Our sister-in-law often meets other horsemen to canter along the bridal path. This trip, we finish the tour up in cars, watching out for deer; who seem to know that this is a refuge with no hunting.

We stopped to show the kids the American River Fortifications, strategically positioned overlooking the Hudson River at Bemis Heights where we had a tail gate picnic snack before heading home.

DETAILS - Saratoga National Historical Park

Address: 648 Route 32, Stillwater, NY 12170

Telephone: 518 664-9821 X224

Web: www.nps.gov/sara

Admission Fee:
SurrenderSurrenderSurrender

John Tumbull's painting of British General Burgoyne's surrender. The original is on view in the US Capitol in Washington, DC. What a shock for Burgoyne to have to lay down his arms to this rag tag American Patriot Army.
Free

Accessibility: The Visitor Center & Museum are fully accessible. Pullouts on Tour Road have designated parking and accessibility. The Wilkinson Trail is not accessible.

Tours: Information on free MP3 or Cell Phone Tours available from Web Site. We also saw one party accompanied by a person in Patriot Army garb so there must be custom tours at an additional fee.

Of Interest & Nearby: The Schuyler House, Saratoga Monument (both in Schuylerville) and the Saratoga National Cemetery are all worthy of visits. There is a marina in Schuylerville (we had docked there and had lunch and visited a few galleries and consignment shops a few years ago).

Other military related attractions in the Capital Region: The USS Slater (Port of Albany), Col. Elmer Ellsworth’s Grave (Hudson View Cemetery, Mechanicville), Uncle Sam’s Grave (Oakwood Cemetery, Troy), Aerosciences Museum (Glenville, Schenectady County), General Grant’s Cottage (Wilton, North of Saratoga Springs), Military Museum (Saratoga Springs), Fort Ticonderoga, and Fort William Henry (Lake George) among others.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Jack Jack
Jack

Nothing like a good tree climbing tree!


29th November 2012
Taking a Hike in the Battlefield

Garnet Stables ( Union College)
We hired Rudy Rodriqez as our trainer and will begin claiming horses shortly. We are entering the game to reduce our income to qualify for Obama's $250,000 and under income. Am sure this will help for two years. Let me know if you guys have any horses you want to get rid of. Gerry and Peggy Oswitt
30th November 2012
Taking a Hike in the Battlefield

Joe McMahon will be in touch
Hi Peggy and Jerry - I gave Joe your home phone number - he will be in touch. Welcome to the fray! Joanne PS we are in Fl already - will fly home for Christmas. Now in St. Augustine - then to Fort DeSoto (near St. Pete) then Venace and finally Pine Island (near Ft. Myers) where we will put the motor home into storage and fly home.
30th November 2012

Nice
Sounds like a great trip

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 36; dbt: 0.0638s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb