Monday inNew York


Advertisement
Published: August 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

A bad night followed by an early start.

The day started with a guided tour of the city. Our guide was very informed and a New York dweller, so knew the city very well. We toured sights such as the Rockerfeller Centre, Empire State building, St. Patricks Cathedral, Flat Iron building, Greenwich Village, and perhaps the most moving stop - Ground Zero. The amount of re-building is amazing and very noisy. The plans for the area and its redevelopment are clear and sensitive to the events. Truly moving.

We then took the free bus from Pier 42 to Central Park. The park is a huge green oasis in the frantic city. Beautiful trees that give wonderful shade. Much needed shade in the heat of the city.

New York has changed since our last visit. New Yorkers are not so stiff but more relaxed with themselves and more willing to pass the time of day with visitors. I'm not sure if it is because it is the summer (we have only been here in the winter before) or whether 7-11 has changed their outlook.

It has been a very hot day and we have done a lot of working.
Buying stamps at the post office was an amazing experience. The building is huge.

Central park does not change. All life is there and some more besides.
Saw the famous mad hatter statue and the Hans Christian statue.

People were sailing model yachts on the lake.

Tomorrow is an early start and our trip continues up to Niagra. I will be sorry to leave New York. It is like a 10000 volt charge of life. Must come back when the new world trade centre is complete.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0561s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb