Day 51


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York
August 20th 2009
Published: August 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

We slept in a little this morning.. finally got up and headed to say goodbye to Lauren.. sad times. We did our hugs and went on our way to Ground Zero, the site of the September 11 attacks back in 2001, nearly 8 years ago!
Now it looks a lot just like a building site, they are building a memorial there, among other things, its only when u make it round to the other side where you really even only slightly to imagine it on the day. When you see the list of names on the wall, and all the other stuff.
We moved on from there and into Century 21. Its basically a building full of crazy shoppers as it is one big shop full of big name brands at up to 75% off... too crazy even for us!! After just a few minor purchases we retreated for the safety of the streets and headed toward Wall Street. We did go in the slightly wrong direction but found our way, and Wall St in the end.
Not a huge amount to see, about 30 cops and the great big American Flag on the side of the building.
After this we moved on to find the Brooklyn Bride. It was a decent walk and keep in mind it was about 35 degrees in the shade so we found it but did not walk it, muchhhhh too hot. We ventured on then to find the subway. We walked a while longer instead and then realised that we had a very short time to catch the subway, change trains and catch another train to get back to the hostel and get cleaned up before our Harbour Lights Cruise. We got back with only 15mins to get ready.. jumped in a cab and made our way down to the Pier at 42nd Street and 12th Avenue.
We sipped on vodka/OJs while sailing down the Hudson River with Manhattan to our right and the sun setting on the left. We sailed out to the Statue of Liberty and did a turn tto head up the other side of Manhattan Island under the Brooklyn bridge. Did a u-turn when we got up to a certain point and made our way back past it all, this time it was dark. The pictures i got was amazing and highly recommend this for anyone visiting New York.
After this we made our way to the Milford Plaza (formerly Laurens Hotel, now pommy Michelles) to catch up with her as she was leaving the following day, another departure.. very sad.
After we (marnee, mich and i) caught a cab back to our hostel where we exchanged photos while reliving the whole trip before saying our goodbyes. Time for bed.


Advertisement



26th August 2009

Told ya Century 21 was crazy!! lol You're lucky if you come out alive!

Tot: 0.444s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 92; dbt: 0.1454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb