US Open 2007


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York
August 30th 2007
Published: September 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We booked our tickets for the US Open a wee while ago to make sure we would definitely have a day there and it was total fluke that on the day we had chosen to go both Murray brothers were playing. On Thursday morning, early of course!, we took the subway out to Queens to Flushing Meadows. The tennis centre covers a big area and is modern, much like the Australian Open and in total contrast to Wimbledon! After passing through security we made our way to the Grandstand (third biggest court) where Andy Murray was playing his second round match against Jonas Bjorkman. It was hilarious as we walked in and pretty much had a choice of any seat we wanted. We opted for the front row so we could be in the heat of the action (oh and somebody wanted to be in a good position for photos!)

The match started off really close and Bjorkman was playing really well - also a lot of the crowd was cheering for him - and he won the 1st set. Andy then went on to win the next 2 sets pretty comfortably but Bjorkman fought back and took the 4th set. It was a happy ending though as Andy won the final set - phew! It was a very different experience from Wimbledon as the crowd were fairly noisy and the umpire does not ask for quiet as they do at Wimbledon. Also the umpire and linesmen are so slow and poor Andy got very frustrated at times as did we! I think Bruce enjoyed the tennis more than he thought he would and got in the spirit of shouting out "Come on Andy" even although I tried to tell him I didn't think Andy would appreciate his accent! Bruce watched most of the match through his camera but got some super photos. Admiring the official photographers cameras was also a highlight of the day!

After that match we went over to a smaller court and watched a set of Jamie Murray’s match which he won with his doubles partner - French guy can’t remember his name…..Eric someone. Much as we would have liked to watch more of the match the heat was beginning to get the better of us though nothing a massive ice cream didn’t sort out! It was a brilliant day out!


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

The French UmpireThe French Umpire
The French Umpire

Its not like Wimbeldon


4th September 2007

I wanna come too!!!!
You lucky lucky guys. Your making me very jealous back here in not so sunny Scotland. Keep up the good work with the photos, Bruce they are really amazing. Take care and have a great time. Fraser

Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0609s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb