Alaska, Canada and NYC Day 39


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
July 7th 2014
Published: July 8th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Last day in the big apple. Wake up and pack last things, then I go uptown to do a final shop. Back to the apartment, re-pack and then out of the apartment at the designated 1200. Few pics of the apartment. This was a good place with great views. Car not due till 1300 so we go down to the cafe under the building for some lunch.

Order and start eating when we see our car arrive with the driver we had when we came back from Niagara Falls (he dropped us off here). Finish food and out to the car, get bags from the doorman at the apartments and away we go out of Manhattan for the last time on this trip. Jean (our driver) takes us out and across the bridge instead of through the Lincoln tunnels - said that would be hectic. See another side of the city and go past La Guardia airport on our way around to JFK. Freeway blocked so next thing we are in the suburbs through back streets then back onto the freeway. good to know he knows his way around and we are not on a meter....

Get to the airport, check in, then go to the bag drop. First bag 38 lbs, second bag 48 lbs, third bag 53 lbs - oh oh, lady suggests we move some stuff around. Stuff that went in last (cleaning and some purchases) were the difference. Moved them into the new bag and all good now. Through security, much easier this time as we are leaving USA.

Down to the gate and wait. Did a bit of shop looking but no purchases here. Went to a bar and got some drinks to farewell NYC. Chris got a bubbles and the server said it looked pretty. Chris said it would look even better with a strawberry. Next thing she gets a bowl of berries. Nice. Board on time and away to LAX for our home bound flight. Well almost, sit for a while, then pilot comes on and says the aero bridge won't detach from the plane - waiting. Finally it moves at least 30 minutes after we were due to take off. Then we get held at a taxiway because they are changing runways or something. While we sit I count at least 8 planes that go past. In the end we move and the pilot says we haven't lost too much time and he will not hold back the horses on the way to LA.

Sit behind the exit row - teasing us... 2 guys arrive, Aussies who had been to the World Cup in Brazil. Plenty of chat to the 3rd guy in the row. Not too bad, sceptical the dude in front of me kept getting up then dropping back into the seat nearly crushing my legs. Hmmmm.

Arrive at LAX on time so he did let the horses have their head. Our next gate is 3 down from where we landed - good one. Look at shops again, then decide to get something to eat. Order food and eat that, then they are about to start boarding. We have "comfort" seats which give us priority boarding so we are on after the business class people. Nice.

Our seat is right behind business class and we have the first seat in the middle behind a bulkhead - plenty of room and only 3 abreast. American guy beside Chris who seems ok, looks like he will settle in and go to sleep - correct. Away pretty much on time and all the service on board is good.

Australia here we come.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.357s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1117s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb