New York - revisited


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
October 30th 2012
Published: October 31st 2012
Edit Blog Post

We have been treated to yet another visit to New York and loved it! We saw so much more by rather doing a sightseeing walk-around as opposed to taking a cab,bus or train. We stayed in Time Square and walked the 1 1/2 hours or about 7km to the World Trade Centre site. As it's open to the public now we just had to go in. Even though we don't personally know anyone who died in the 9/11 attack it was still a very emotional experience visiting the site.

The Waterfalls / twin pools where the two towers once stood was designed with so much feeling, water is constantly flowing softly over the edge, seemingly falling for ever as one can not see the bottom of the falls, often a rainbow appears above the pools, giving still grieving family and friends visiting the boldly inscribed names on bronze plates around the twin memorial pools the feeling of warmth, and that their loved ones will not be forgotten.

From there we walked to the Staten Island Ferry Terminal, we took the(free) ferry to the Island - took loads of photos of New York from the back of the ferry and came right back again. As our legs were in a state of perpetual motion...we kept walking..to Chinatown, Little Italy and back to Time's Square.. It is a really good way to see the little side streets and interesting litlle markets going on all over the place.

Little Italy had some street festival going on, as one would expect -LOTS of food! We had The best ever Cannolis, it was well worth the powdery mess covering our faces!

We went to visit the New York High Line, it's a public park built on a historic freight line above the streets of Manhattan's west Side. It's well worth a visit, take a slow stroll along the line and let your thoughts wonder as you relax on the "quiet time' benches or admire various art exhibits.

I wish we had more time to explore Chelsea Market just below The High Line, there was a wide variety of interesting eateries and little retail shops.

We couldn't resist going up The Rockefeller building again - this time armed and ready to shoot with a new lens.. I will have to try and get some of Jason's photos on here..they are just so much better than mine😊

Well our bags were packed and ready for our next flight to London where we got a connecting flight to Bologna Italy...


Additional photos below
Photos: 46, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

9/11 Memorial Building9/11 Memorial Building
9/11 Memorial Building

Looks like the old building on it's side


Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0699s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb