Exploring Manhatten - Day 1


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
February 10th 2011
Published: June 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

grandcentralgrandcentralgrandcentral

Me in Grand Central Station
This morning we hitched a ride into town with Elia on her way to work. We got to see her offices (she works with the UN) and then decided to take the subway over to the MET from there. I was a little apprehensive at figuring out the subway since it had been away 10 years since I did it last, but we picked it up in no time.

We walked over to Grand Central to check it out and then we took the subway over to 5th Avenue and walked up the street to the Museum. My mother couldnt believe how big the place was and we quickly decided we would need to choose what we wanted to see most. We decided on the Egyptian section, the Greek and the oil paintings upstairs. First we headed down to the cafeteria to grab a bite to eat and refuel (Im 4 months pregnant... food is needed!) We hit up the Egyptian section first and enjoyed looking at the mummies, hyrogliffs (sp?) and the temple of dundar I believe it was called.

Then it was upstairs to check out the oil paintings. This was one area I didnt get to
babybumpbabybumpbabybump

Just hanging out in the MET bathroom... with my baby bump.
on my last trip and its a real shame I missed it previously. They were gorgeous! I couldnt believe the amount of original portrait paintings they had; it blew me away.

From there we went down to the Greek section to admire the many sculptures and stone works. We soon realized that we were beginning to lose appreciation for what we were seeing and decided that it meant we needed to leave. That place deserves to be appreciated, even if its just in small doses.

We decided to walk back through Central Park and catch the subway on the other side to get back to our hotel. It was very cold out and the park was pretty much empty besides the occasional park worker. Both times I have been to New York it has winter and the parks ponds were frozen. One day, Id like to come and see what it looks like without snow and ice.

We met up with our friend Nanci (from switzerland - also here for the surprise) at our hotel and decided to walk to the Top of the Rock observatory. It was well worth the money and a much better view
egyptsectionegyptsectionegyptsection

Me with a bunch of the hyrogliffs
in my opinion then from the Empire State Building. In fact, it gives you a great view of the Empire State Building which is kind of something you want in your photos anyhow.

From there we caught the subway over to a local bistro and had dinner with Elia and her family. And now for a good nights sleep, because tomorrow is another busy day of sightseeing!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

centralparkcentralpark
centralpark

Central Park looking cold
topoftherocktopoftherock
topoftherock

Mum and I at the Top of the Rock


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb