Day 8 - New York (Day # 3)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
June 22nd 2012
Published: June 27th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Well the day started off well. Miami Heat had won the NBA and Luke was ecstatic. The game finished around midnight.

The weather was OK again but forecast was for afternoon thunderstorms. We got back on the Hop On Hop Off Bus and decided to go on the downtown loop to the site of the World Trade Centre (WTC) known as Ground Zero area.

It seemed to take forever to get there with all of the traffic and we did not have a narrator this time which was a shame as went passed some interesting areas such a Greenwich Village and the Meatpacking District.

Once we got near the WTC site we went to the nearest Deli for lunch. I’m getting used to these places especially when you want to get out of the heat. It is a bit cooler today around 32 degrees but high humidity.

We then walked a few blocks and noticed the WTC site was huge. Hard to imagine what it must have been like back on 9/11. They have a memorial but we could not access without tickets. They are building 4 new towers and the biggest (Liberty) is almost completed now and looks pretty special especially at night.

We could see the storm approaching so decided to head underground to the nearest subway and go back to Times Square. This was a smart move as when we surfaced around 30 mins later the roads were showing signs of a major downpour but it had now passed over.

We went back to the NBA store where Luke bought a NBA Champions T-Shirt and Cap and was so excited to have this the very next day after the game. These are the same as the Miami team were wearing after the game last night.

We then met up with Dave & Michelle again for our farewell dinner as they are heading home to Chicago tomorrow and we are leaving NYC. We went to the Naples Pizza Restaurant at Grand Central Station. Beautiful Pizza as you would expect in NYC, great company and finished in time to head off to our Broadway show.

We had tickets to Priscilla Queen Of The Desert and wow what an amazing and entertaining show. It went so fast with great music, great acting and props etc. Well worth the effort.

There was still some showers around but the temperature had cooled down a lot and we went to the Hersheys Chocolate shop in Times Square for a taste then back home to our Hotel. Tomorrow we leave NYC.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.213s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0865s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb