Day 48: New York City - Chinatown and the East Village


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
August 22nd 2011
Published: September 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Ramya had a class at 9am so I had a lie in while she worked and then we went into town together when she got back. First stop was Chinatown, where I bought a fake Longchamp handbag which is already falling apart. We then briefly walked through the East Village and had lunch in a very nice cafe (with a very weridly dressed waitress). We then walked into Midtown and saw a few of the sights, although since I'd already seen mst of them with Devaki our main focus was shopping! I made her queue with me to get into the Abercrombie and Fitch shop on Fifth Avenue, although all the prices were marked up from the shop in Boston so I refused to buy anything. They also gave me a stinking looking when I asked if there was a clearance section. We also snooped around Cartier, not that we could even afford the cheapest thing. Ramya texted Simon that we were looking at engagement rings!

We also tried to be a bit cultural and go and see the Frick Collection, but it was closed so we bought cheap food and then headed back to Times Square to see if we could get any last minute theatre tickets. We decided to go and see Rent, which was amazing. It's all about a group of friend with AIDS, who can't afford their rent, trying to get by in NYC in the early 1990s. Our seats were pretty awful but it didn't really matter. Afterwards we were so exhausted we went straight back to bed - so much for the city that never sleeps.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0328s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb