Day 17


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
February 12th 2011
Published: February 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today, Carl, Aaron, Jen and I had tickets to go up to the crown of the Statue of Liberty, so we all got up and ready, and caught the subway down to Battery Park. Apart from the fact we had to change routes because some lines were closed due to track works, when we finally go on a train, it kept slowing down, and even stopping because of delays. This was by far the worst day on the Subway, and I’ve seen it like that before then – or even since then! It took us probably more than an hour to get from midtown down to Battery Park, which would normally only take about 20 minutes!

Finally we made it, went to the ticket window to pick up our tickets, and go through security before getting onto the ferry to Liberty Island, where the statue stands. The security is as tight as airport security – where you have to take off your shoes, jackets, belts etc. I don’t know whether it’s always been that tight, or just since 9/11.

The water was very choppy, and we were really being pushed from side to side, but once the ferry was on its way it was hardly noticeable.

We headed straight to the bottom of the statue, put our bags in lockers, and started the walk up the 354 steps (22 stories) to the top of her crown. There were numerous spots where we were able to stop and catch our breath, which we took advantage of, and finally made it to the top. It didn’t actually take that long, and she’s actually pretty tiny. There were about 8 of us up in the crown, and it was quite squishy! The views are pretty amazing, though she’s facing Brooklyn and not Manhattan, so the views of the city itself aren’t fantastic. I’m glad we went up in the middle of winter, because it was quite warm up there and there isn’t a lot of ventilation, apparently summer is the worse time to go up.

We made our decent back to the bottom, grabbed some food, then headed back on the Subway (which was running a lot better) back to the hotel.

Carl, Aaron and Jen went up to Central Park, whilst I stayed at the hotel, updating some blogs, then I met them at Sbarro for some pizza dinner!

After dinner, Carl and I had a look through some gift shops, and I even found some cool Broadway shops, which sold the programs for all the shows – even those which aren’t on anymore – and different show souvenirs. I told myself I’d go back there to buy some stuff…

Carl and I met up with Aaron and Jen at the hotel, and then walked across the road to a place called Dave and Buster’s. Basically it’s like an Intencity or Time Zone, but with a bar! Sounds awesome? Well… not really… It was ok, but it was so ridiculously packed that it was making me feel sick, and I had one bourbon and coke – which was pretty much just straight bourbon and way too expensive – and that didn’t help!

We didn’t stay very long, and headed to good old Macca’s for some ice-cream, before heading back to the hotel, too watch some TV – Road trip – and then went to bed!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.216s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb