Daniel Craig & Hugh Jackman in the Flesh!!! (Penny)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
September 24th 2009
Published: September 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Daniel CraigDaniel CraigDaniel Craig

Celebrity Sighting #21
How lucky are we??? For 12 weeks only, Bond & Wolverine are starring as a pair of Chicago cops in Broadway's - 'A Steady Rain'. As you can imagine, this play was SOLD OUT almost immediately, (unless your prosperity allows for premium seat tickets retailing at $452 each!). But thanks to Dave-the-bartender's innate ability to chinwag with beer-swilling locals, we scored insider tickets & saw the boys live from Row C last night. Yeeehaaar!

Dave and I both agree 'A Steady Rain' is the best performance we've EVER seen. Hugh Jackman has proven himself on Broadway countless times, and he certainly lived up to expectations. But Daniel Craig, despite critics speculating (pre-performance debut) on his emotionless James Bond facade & lagging theatre experience, was absolutely, positively, astoundingly amazing in character! It was breathtaking to watch, especially so close-up.

I developed a newfound appreciation for the intense concentration involved in acting when some idiot in the audience let their phone ring off the hook. Hugh stopped mid-performance, retained his perfectly-refined Chicago drawl, and appealed to the fool to just answer the call. The audience erupted in applause and I'm sure someone deep in the caverns of the balcony began wishing
Hugh JackmanHugh JackmanHugh Jackman

Celebrity Sighting #22
their velvet seat would swallow them whole.

The phone stopped ringing. Performance continued without a beat. 5 seconds later the rejected caller obviously tried again. Second time round Hugh was pacing the stage with frustration. Daniel Craig jumped on board, pleading, "Just take the damn call. We don't care. Just take it, we'll wait, then we can all move on". What a chillingly sincere moment. The entire story is extremely emotional and powerful. This imbecile's personal life would have no doubt thrown the actors. It felt as though we were all enduring a grueling journey together. Someone killed the magic in an instant, snapping us all out of the zone with a zap of reality. The air crackled, still charged with the intensity of the story.

Dave and I didn't plan on adding Daniel and Hugh as celebrity sightings. As our good friend Pete pointed out, it doesn't count when you pay to see them. But we now feel justified. Thanks to the audience mishap, the actor's true personalities to shone through. Numbers 21 and 22, done and done.






Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

50th Street Station50th Street Station
50th Street Station

Art Underground


24th September 2009

Envy
I am incredibly envious. I love the theater and it's rawness and you make it sound so real Pen. Broadway! Wow! Pity the coffee is so lousy!! Hehe
25th September 2009

Broadway Fans
Hey Vas, didn't realize you were a theatre fan.... come over for a visit and we'll hit some shows! How are the kids, btw??

Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 91; dbt: 0.1139s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb