NYC - What didn't we see?


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
May 13th 2009
Published: May 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

He was like out of a movie or something!He was like out of a movie or something!He was like out of a movie or something!

Check out his dog's bow! (I wonder what he would have done if it pooed - cause everyone else I saw picked up their dog's kaka)
New York, New York

What didn’t we see in New York? Well a celebrity, so that was my only disappointment. But we did see a guy who could have been...OMG he was my highlight, so funny! (see the pics!)

We stayed in a great location and our hotel room was better than we were expecting. We stayed at Hotel Pennsylvania, mainly because it was across the road from Penn train station, and we were lucky enough to be given a corner room with two windows. However the views were only what could be expected of a concrete jungle city. New York is definitely not a place we could live in but was great to experience it for just a couple days.

After our first half day, I could already cross many sights off my list...

Free Staten Island Ferry and Statue of Liberty - we caught the subway to the South Ferry Terminal and hopped right on. The trip was only about half an hour and took us past the Statue of Liberty.

World Trade Center site - large area and very difficult to imagine what use to be there. There were huge constructions going on
First glimpseFirst glimpseFirst glimpse

We took the Staten Island Ferry so we could catch a look at one of America's most famous icons
and we could see the first stages of the Freedom Tower. I felt a small chill and still can’t believe what really happened.

Brooklyn Bridge - we couldn’t find where to go so that we could walk on the bridge but took a couple nice shots below the bridge by the East River.

Times Square - I think this is one of my favourite areas, tonnes of lights and billboards, video screens, Broadway theatres and just a good atmosphere. This area is much larger than Tokyo’s Shibuya or Shinjuku but also a great place to people watch. The m&m’s store was fun, very bright and colourful with every colour of m&m under the sun!

Empire State building - by this time we were so tired (actually way before this time) and thought we might actually fall asleep standing if we had to wait in the one hour line up to get to the top, so just took some pics from the outside and sat in a bar and people watched for a while.

Our second day was just as busy, if not more...

We did LOTS of walking (when we arrived back to Madrid, our legs were still sore) mainly along Broadway, Lexington Avenue and Fifth Avenue. We didn’t really do much shopping, but saw...

The Flatiron Building
Bloomingdales
Victoria’s Secret Flagship Store
A fur street - All the shops sold real fur!
Korean Street - Full of Korean restaurants
The Chrysler Building and its impressive foyer
Breakfast at Tiffany’s original Tiffany’s store
Trump Tower
Rockefeller Center
Times Square again

We also saw:

Many yellow taxis, people on the street hailing taxis, steam coming from the drains, a white massive stretch Hummer, lots of yellow school busses, fancy cars, some real statues that I thought were people statues, BlackBerrys and iPhones, 'one way' street signs, the American flag, more yellow taxis and beggars (one was quite funny holding a cardboard sign that said “Last week I slept with Lindsay Lohan...please help”).

We also heard many sounds:

People trying to sell us comedy tickets, a man who farted loudly on the street, taxis honking (apparently it is a US$300 fine to honk your horn in Manhattan), ambulances, fire trucks, UFO sounding police cars, construction work, "Good morning and welcome to Macy's", at least 10 different languages, people talking and singing out
Our room at Hotel Penn - better than we expectedOur room at Hotel Penn - better than we expectedOur room at Hotel Penn - better than we expected

but then realised when we got back to Spain, they had charged us twice!
loud to themselves, beggars and a man taking the stairs alongside the escalator yelling “yo I will never take the escalator, ya gotta exercise, ya’ll are fat and lazy!” - Lucky we were taking the stairs!

Hmm, I won’t go into details about the smells, most of them were pretty nasty and difficult to avoid!

On the third day, I went out early (after Peter called pretending to be room service - I was a bit sucked in) and caught the subway to Broadway and West 112th Street so I could get a shot of the famous Seinfeld restaurant (and make Peter jealous...a bit). It is actually called Tom’s Restaurant and the layout inside is not the same as the TV show. I also heard their food and service is not so good so didn’t bother going in but was happy to have a photo under the sign!

After that I walked to Central Park and after just seeing a tiny bit, as it is so huge, I had to get back to the hotel to checkout. I saw many squirrels in Central Park, (not as friendly as the London ones), school groups, many cyclists, a couple practicing boxing, people walking 3 or 4 dogs at a time, and many people just taking a walk or reading a book.

Mario and I went for our last walk, got some gyros on the street for lunch and did some last minute shopping (I bought some colourful sneakers) before catching our train to Philadelphia in time for our flight back to Madrid. There is probably plenty more we could have done and seen, but also as it was the end of our trip, it was time to go home!

On the train we hopped and after that we did not even get one last look at the city as we were underground, including going under the Hudson River, until we were in New Jersey.

Bye Bye America and God Bless America! 😉




Additional photos below
Photos: 89, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Presidential one dollar coin and engraved on the edge - 'IN GOD WE TRUST'Presidential one dollar coin and engraved on the edge - 'IN GOD WE TRUST'
Presidential one dollar coin and engraved on the edge - 'IN GOD WE TRUST'

I never knew they existed as $1 notes are so common. One shop assistant had to give it a double look before accepting it when I used it to pay!
Wall Street Bronze BullWall Street Bronze Bull
Wall Street Bronze Bull

While everyone else was taking pictures with its head...


21st May 2009

SO great......I cant wait to go there one day!! You had a packed fews days and saw lots of cool sites. I cant believe you didnt do any Sex and The City sites. Glad you 2 had a fantastic time in the states xxx

Tot: 0.413s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 22; qc: 121; dbt: 0.2933s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb