Rudder: CHECK!, Flaps: CHECK! Chocolate? Check !!!!!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
March 25th 2009
Published: March 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Rudder: Check! Flaps: Check! Chocolate? Check!!!Rudder: Check! Flaps: Check! Chocolate? Check!!!Rudder: Check! Flaps: Check! Chocolate? Check!!!

Invited to the cockpit of the Boeing 767. Told not to fiddle with ANYTHING......
We stayed up until the middle of the night, and went to the airport. It only has 2 buildings, baggage collection and the ticket place - and a man playing the ukulele (Oliver: coconut on a stick!).

The most amazing thing happened in Rarotonga Airport. We were just discussing how cool it would be to drive an airoplane - and the pilot walked past us at security, and invited me and Oliver to visit the cockpit! There were so many buttons it would take a whole day to count them all. It takes 18months to complete the course to become a pilot, and then it takes a bit longer to learn about the plane you would like to drive. It was Freezing! Only 18 degrees...but I reckon mum and dad were lying and it was really -18 degrees.

When we got to L.A. we went to a diner, it was interesting.....Mum had a biccie boca burger. We stayed in the Airport Hilton, which had millions of floors that Oliver and I raced up and down. We got up at 3:30AM in the morning and eventually found our way to reception to check out. We took a bus to the
Long Island - Short hairLong Island - Short hairLong Island - Short hair

....and managed to stay awake this time!!!!
airport - and through all the time travelling we have never had to unpack our bags at the airport - but the silly lady at the check-in made us unpack every single bag, just so that they were the right weight.
(Dad - Furious...Mum: embarrassed, knickers flying about the checkout, as dad ripped the bags apart....).

Arrived in New York. Straight away you could feel it was a lot colder than LA - felt like -8000 degrees. We are staying in the Chelsea Lodge, on 20th street, 8th Avenue. I now know why they call them blocks. Everything is on a grid, so if someone says to walk 10 blocks you have to cross 10 roads - easy.

We visited Time Square there were TV screens stuck to buildings the size of year 5's work table, and bigger. Sadly they on;ly showed adverts. We went to the Toys r us. It had 3 floors and a Ferris wheel. There was also a plastic dinosaur that roared and looked at you if you moved. There was a whole Star Wars section.

Oliver went to a proper New York barbers. The barber took his time in slowly trimming his
Wrap up - it's freeeeezing..Wrap up - it's freeeeezing..Wrap up - it's freeeeezing..

Battery Park, near the ferry for Staten Island
hair and then used the clippers. He now has a George Clooney haircut, with loads of gel to stick it up.

Oliver on the Empire State Building: We went up the Empire State Building. Dad thinks it is the Empire Strikes Back Building. We saw the whole of New York at night. We saw the Brooklyn Bridge. My first ever tooth came in the Empire State Building, I never thought my tooth would come out when I was travelling. I kept on looking under my pillow, until the tooth was gone - in the morning it was gone and I had three dollars.

Hannah on the Empire State Building: The reason for the giant pole on top of it is because it was going to be an airship station. That was until they found out there were 100mph gale force winds and the top of the building moves a quarter of an inch in strong winds.

Thanks again for all your lovely messages and comments on the blog.....this might be our last one. Perhaps one more from London......????!!!!!!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

The Brooklyn BridgeThe Brooklyn Bridge
The Brooklyn Bridge

.....over the east river, on a lovely sunny day.
Nightime view from the Empire State BuildingNightime view from the Empire State Building
Nightime view from the Empire State Building

Amazing views to all over the city....
Girls gotta eat yunno!Girls gotta eat yunno!
Girls gotta eat yunno!

Dinner in Chinatown - the portions here are huge.


29th March 2009

I've been there
Hi HIHO, I've never followed anything on a blog before and yours have been grand. It was freezing when I was in New York in 2000 - a foot of snow fell in a day! Hannah you look beautiful in the pictures and Oliver you look very smart with that new haircut. Looking forward to seeing you all soon and hearing of tales of adventure, love Jane x
8th April 2009

New York New York
Wow what a fantastic holiday you have had. We are both very envious. It's a balmy 32 degrees in Perth today so I can't imagine how cold it must be. New York looks like another amazing place you have visited. Look forward to seeing you two and your mum and dad next September in Wales. Love Marise and Steve xx

Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0807s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb