New York


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
May 18th 2003
Published: January 23rd 2021
Edit Blog Post

With a new job and life in London secured it meant that the means were at last there to seriously think about a big trip, and also a friend with enough money and commitment to join me was a help. In January 1990 I wrote in my diary that my big ambition for the year was to 'go to America'. Didn't do it in 1990, in fact didn't leave Scotland but at least over 13 years later I got to achieve an old ambition.

To keep costs down we flew in a budget way so it was Air India return on a 747.

Shuttle from JFK to our hotel the Arlington on 25 Street West just round the corner from iconic Flatiron building. Went straight out that night despite being shattered and were soon atop the Empire State building taking it all in. Next day Staten Island ferry and reflection at Ground Zero were order of the day. All the usual sights and sounds were taken in but the real bonus was our day trip to Washington DC. We racked up at Penn station and with a bit of charm got a superb deal so great to experience a ride on the Amtrak through Baltimore and Philidelphia and see how built up it all is. Best of all was the Air and Space museum!

Found some good bars and burger joints and walked off excess in Central Park then sadly on way home were held up for 7 hours as a problem with our plane, still an exhausting but highly enjoyable trip and great to leave all thoughts of home to one side for 5 days.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0801s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb