Day 26- Flatiron, Grand Central, and HIMYM


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
February 7th 2020
Published: February 7th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Started off the day with an early lunch at “must-try” USA fast food chain Shake Shack! It was probably the nicest fast food I’ve ever had, but it was still fast food, so not the classiest. Shoutout to the man who took my order for spelling my name as Luissy, provided a lot of entertainment during our lunch!

Our first stop for the day was the Flatiron building. It was a bit of a walk, but we passed Madison Square Garden and Penn Station along the way, so it was cool to tick them off the list. The flatiron building is really cool, an architectural phenomena, and it was really interesting to look at. Would probably have been better without all the scaffolding but what can ya do!

We sat in Madison Square Park for a while debating what to do next, and we ended up strolling around the east village for quite a while. It was mostly construction and broken down restaurants, but it was cool to see a new side to the city. We eventually found ourselves back at Park Avenue, so we took a right turn and headed allllll the way down to Grand Central Terminal!

This place is incredible. It’s just a train station, but it’s the most beautiful train station I have ever seen. We did some people watching for a while, and took a time lapse video of the main square which looks so cool. We tried to re-imagine that scene from Madagascar, but it’s just not the same without the actual animals being there.

When we finally got tired of watching commuters going about their everyday lives, we decided to go back to Central Park for a little stroll. We got a packet of honey roasted nuts from a food cart and walked around the zoo. I had been super keen to buy tickets to go inside, until I realised that there actually aren’t any lions, so it’s about $40aud to see some monkeys and some bats. And seals, but we could see them from the side of the zoo. They’re so cute and playful!

At about 5pm went back to the hotel for Adam’s afternoon nap, and headed back out for dinner at 7. We went to McGee’s, an Irish pub that was the inspiration for one of our favourite shows, How I Met Your Mother. It doesn’t share much resemblance, but there is memorabilia from the TV show all over the walls and they have HIMYM cocktails! It was very exciting.

After dinner, Adam suddenly decided he needed new jeans, so as this is the city that never sleeps, we ended over to GAP in Times Square to do a little shopping. We were there for a while, and he came away with two new pairs- very successful.

After that we went back to the hotel and did our face masks while playing cards. I have to say, for a $5 face mask my skin is feeling much better. Only 21,000 steps today but we’re somehow very tired!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.19s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1142s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb