Two Bridges and a Beacon


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Brooklyn
April 7th 2023
Published: April 11th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Was our last full day in New York City the best of the lot? The day was definitely Top 5 but it was the night that had Friday the 7th April in contention for Best Day of the Trip!

Friday was starting with a handicap as we had to move hotels and packing suitcases and dragging them half a dozen blocks is hardly on anyone’s NYC bucket list. But, we tacked on an extra day in NYC after we’d book the Sonesta – for reasons that will become obvious later. First things first!

The lateness of the booking left us with slim pickings and we Jules went for convenience and booked the Hyatt Grand Central. More than double the size of the Sonesta and with a flashier lobby, but the rooms and beds are smaller and I’m glad we were staying in the Sonesta for most of the week. The Hyatt is convenient though and we are planning a lot of subways today.

It’s only 10.30 when we register for check-in and we leave our luggage with the Bellboy, Bellman, Bellhop? Slip him a tip for doing…not very much and watch as he adds my tenner to his fat wad of greenbacks. Either he’s not embraced modern banking and his net worth is stored in his trouser pocket or he is making bulk cash on a daily basis and has the cushiest job in the world.

We maneuver through Grand Central like the subway bosses we now are and alight the subway for our trip under the East River to Brooklyn. It’s a stunning stroll along the Brooklyn River Park past the various piers dominated by the Wall Street backdrop. These piers have been reclaimed for public recreation. Walking tracks, soccer fields, basketball courts, pickle ball courts and regenerated nature reserves. The Brooklyn Bridge is an impressive design and somehow manages to dominate the view despite the cluster of humungous skyscrapers behind it. The height and proximity of the Wall Street giants makes midtowns 30-50 story buildings look relatively quaint.

A fortuitously timed toilet break has us stopping at Time-Out New York. An eatery near the carousel. It looks familiar as it was recommended by Dobbie. From the street, it’s a funky cluster of eateries with the trusted (black and white) Time Out branding. Inside we find the 5th floor eatery with excellent views of the two bridges from the warmth and comfort of an indoor couch. From our prime couch positions we enjoy a beverage and a rest. The 6 Points IPA is very enjoyable. Drinking beer in Brooklyn was on my bucket list.

Making our way to Deaks' preferred NYC skate shop (KCDC) we stumble across the location of the Brooklyn 99 title shot. We’d only just explained to Millsy that we were unlikely to have time to get to South Brooklyn to visit the Brooklyn 99 building. Recreating this shot with the Manhattan Bridge in the background is good fun and a better result.

Jules finds the Travel Bag she’s been waiting to meet all her life at a really cool boutique shoe shop. It’s ONLY $399 USD! Lets call that $600 AUD. The love at first sight was only deepened by the numerous useful compartments and attachments and sealed by the touch of its leather. We drag her away but I fear it’s not the last we’ve seen of this bag.

Brooklyn is BIG and we avoid the 70 minute walk to KCDC and order an Uber. The 20 minute drive around the Navy yards passes through a Jewish community. Obvious by all the dudes on the streets in their traditional/fundamental garments and hats. There’s the usual Jewish hats and curly sideburns, but also these massive truncated beefeater hats. It must be special day, they can’t get around in these things daily.

The Uber drops us in Williamsburg. Deaks checks out KCDC and picks up a local brand Skate Shirt. His skate shirts are akin to my playing cards. He has one from Melbourne, Hobart and now Brooklyn/NYC. I have a good chat with a bookstore proprietor and we carry-on. Deaks has his board with him and he wisely elects to join the local dudes having a skate outside KCDC. Jules, Milla and I duck into a divey bar - Levee – for a quick drink and a risky hotdog. Turns out to be quite a tasty dog. I take what I think are complimentary cherry Twizzlers from a glass straw dispenser on the bar. It’s a cool bar. From our raised booth seat we watch local punters playing pool and darts. The bartender is a little too cool for school but that seems to be the vibe of this place.

I finish my Brooklyn IPA and check that Deaks is still alive. Between the bookstore and the pub is a pot dispensary with sandwich boards out the front. After discussing the pros and cons of making a purchase, I ignore my parenting instincts and take the chance to experience Brooklyn proper. Milla is a bit shocked and Jules questions my parenting. Deaks is on board. Deaks and I have a cool chat with the pot dispensary worker from the Dominican Republic. It’s weird to legally purchase the joint and I quickly put it in my bag before I hit the street and the cops see me!

Making our way to Bedford St Subway we duck in and out of various vintage clothes shops and boutiques. We have awesome sourdoughnuts and a pee at this cool donut store. Buffalo Exchange was mentioned in Lonely Planet and we spend a good half an hour thrifting. Deaks buys a shirt and we head for the subway. This place is cool and worthy of a follow-up visit if we have time.

Back under the East River and down to the other side of the Brooklyn Bridge for a quick walk across an eighth of the bridge. It’s crazily crowded and we don’t have time to walk all the way and back. The Les Coleman Skatepark is under the Manhattan Bridge and it looks closer on the map. It’s a good 20 minute walk and glad we did it as we pass some of the tenement buildings we’d seen from One World Tower on Day 1. It also seems that it backs onto the other side of Chinatown from Day 3 – it’s all coming together. I’m almost getting my bearings.

It's an edgier neighborhood befitting a skatepark. The park is literally under the Manhattan Bridge and appears to be behind permanently locked 4 metre high fences. This doesn’t stop skaters, it’s effectively an invitation: a challenge to break-in.

It’s getting cold and we’re getting hungry. This part of town is rougher and the food is cheaper. We grab some NY slices for $1.50 per slice and we jump back on the Subway.

We check in and our room is on the top floor (34th). The family chills and catches up on their socials. I doze off whilst watching the Mets vs Phillies is on the TV in the background. Mets win with a loaded bases walk in the 10th innings.

Time to head out again. We are going to see Jerry Seinfeld!!!!

Jules got us tickets to see the 9.30 Jerry and we’re back on the subway uptown to 74th street and the Beacon Theatre. The theatre is awesome and the show is hilarious! The support comic (Ryan Something) is like a mini/young Jerry and Jerry is delivering pure Jerry. The best Jerry, the best!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0313s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb