Montauk Montage


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » Montauk
May 31st 2011
Published: June 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

It wasn't a matter of exploration nor a thrill of feeling volatile with the unknown. It was simply a matter of placing myself in a new setting, almost behind the lens, because the town of Montauk is simply that. Nestled at the far eastern tip of Long Island, Montauk stands alone embracing the true countryside. Although linked to the Hamptons, it is not quite the poshy beach scene. Montauk is a quaint part of town where few locals live but many New Yorkers play.

Once summer kicked off, I paid a visit to this heard-of surf town and figured I'd share my venture for those interested in exploring one day...

From the city we grabbed the train in. This is a party in itself as liquor is welcomed on board, so we poured some champagne in the train while seats fill up with people seeking the sun. Upon arrival, the rays and breeze made their appearance. It was time to head to Sole East Backyard Restaurant to enjoy the afternoon with sangrias and lobster rolls while people and pets basked in the gorgeous afternoon light. Picture picnics and pink lemonade at this venue. The surrounding air was fresh and the lounge beds were calmly inviting. Soft lounge tunes created the delicate ambience for reading and chatting but dont hope for great service, this spot is still in need for improvement. If you must go with a plate, select the tuna tartare appetizer glazed with miso dressing, you wont be dissapointed!

With an evening of clear skies, we were able to catch a wonderous sunset as the air began to cool down. At night the town's pace shifted to a more bar-like scene. There were surprisingly plenty to choose from, all just a cab ride away. The weekend was just warming up, so The Surf Lodge was the place to be to grab a nice meal while the bombfire lit up the sand outside. Inside the DJ jammed reggae and 80's on a swift set of turntables. And the night began. As the indoor bar crowded, we leaned against log-like tables as the local surfers rolled in. Signature drinks were poured by mixologists, some I recognized from Miami.

Montauk may pride itself with its sand dune beaches, but their brunch aint so bad either. A morning at Crow's Nest did the trick and filled my belly with a great all-American breakfast. It was enough to get the day started and inspired a bike ride back over to Sole for their so-called Backyard reggae party. The guests seemed more enthused to lay out than dance so we made our way to a great fish shack outside Montauk Village known as Cyril's. Here the vibe was sparkling with laughter and music; it was the town's afternoon go-to. The lot filled with different faces, most sipping on the famous household frozen drink, the BBC. The seafood was pleasing but not the best. The crab cakes and clam chowder may have just disappeared because we were starving at that point. The sun went down, the cold set in, and once again the night scene came out to play.

The next morning we took a different route and brunched at a local cafe, the Gigshack where surfboards adorned the ceilings and iron panels aligned the walls creating a hybrid of surf and international flare. The day was semi-cloudy so crowds of people gathered at the village center to go antiquing while we opted to check out Ditch Plains Beach, the famous stretch of rocks and sand for surfers and beachgoers from all over the east coast.

Lunch trucks lined up along the sand dunes where beachies could grab themselves a quick bite and hit the water. My recommendation, Montaco truck, which serves the most amazing fusion of seafood and beef tacos topped with avocado, cilantro, and pure deliciousness "Hecho con Amor". The sand at Ditch Plains was a soothing exfoliator of dark grains and I couldnt wait to lay straight on it. The water, not so much. With the summer barely commencing we were lucky if it reached a mere 60 degrees. We opted for the view instead as our local friends surfed the waves, long wetsuits of the essence.

We later hopped on over to a local restaurant formerly known as Nicks, now the infamous Sloppy Tuna. This spot sits right next to the ocean, and attracted beachgoers as they wrapped up their day at the beach and craved a little live music and cold beers. Its rooftop deck looked out to the ocean and we could watch the waves rolls in as the multi-colored beach umbrellas closed with the sundown. But before the sun completely fell I had my lens ready to capture the pink at a different venue, The Montauket Hotel. This cottage-like hotel sits uphill facing out to Montauk's Fort Pond and is by far the oldest, yet greatest viewing point at sunset. A live band played rock n roll cover songs and crowds sat along picnic benches on the outside deck as the sky painted colors of a pastel medley. As I turned to face the hill, I caught a group of hipsters playing horseshoe. So surreal. The setup belonged to the original farmhouses along the road.

That night the cool breeze came back for more but it was surprisingly pleasant and warm. As we prepped for yet another evening, we placed an order at Village Pizza and opened some wine. This pizza was so good Im still raving about it. Best part about this little window-front spot is that it stays open til 4am! Once ready, we called our now favorite cab driver, Casey. Casey arrived dressed like a pirate, and his cantor had attracted several groups of travelers. The van then became a party bus with its own version of disco lights. We were dropped off at the recommended Ruschmeyer's which from the outside appears to be a decadent, freshly-built barn with a touch of disco and sass. And it was. It smelled of fresh wood while the bar tops were aligned with white flowers. The crowd jammed along with the female DJ as their scarves and fedoras garnished their already chic appearance. Great sounds played all night and alas I found it...a disco ball in the center room. This is a highly recommended place for those interested in a cozy dinner venue without the need for much fuss. But bring your style to the house.

As the weekend slowly came to a wrap I felt the urge to enlist it as an entry. Although not far away, Montauk is a sweet place to call home for the summer. It was the Laissez-faire version of a Hamptons getaway. Pleasant, breezy, and smooth.

Hope to catch the sunset from this town again soon...aloha.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0582s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb