Sapsucker Woods Map
Map of the area in which I'm staying. The Golo House is on Sapsucker Woods Road, in the middle of the Sanctuary.
Hello from the States!
I've decided to keep everyone interested in my travels this summer updated through a blog. I don't know how much time and/or energy I'll have for this, but I'll try to at least upload pictures with descriptions.
Catch-Up Until May 4:
- Flew from Toronto to Philly on a small (50ish people) plane.
- Waited around Philly airport for three hours, with next flight delayed slightly. The free AT&T internet did not work for me despite my efforts, so I ended up falling asleep on the floor by my gate.
- Flew on a small plane without air conditioning to Ithaca's tiny airport. Was met by Kate, who lives and maintains the "Golo House", and Nadine and Effrain, who will be interns with me at Long Point.
- Went grocery shopping at Tops just to get food for the night and next day. Found out food is not provided, and it's only "probable" that we will be reimbursed for it because we're international interns.
- 10 other people related to the Golondrinas project are staying at the house right now. The house is near the Cornell Lab of Ornithology in the suburbs of Ithaca
The Greatest Store on Earth
and is next to an arboretum called Sapsucker Woods.
- Have a top bunk, but so far it is working out fine.
- Yesterday (May 3) was introduced to the project by being thrown into doing mist netting and box checks, learning as we went. It was raining so we got very muddy. We are probably doing both things everyday; I did not expect to be doing so much field work here, so I'm not as prepared as I would like.
- In the afternoon we went to Wegmans, which is an amazing grocery store, and drove around Ithaca proper, which is full of hills and gorges and waterfalls and seems to be beautiful and full of nature everywhere. People say Guelph has a beautiful campus, but it is nothing compared to Cornell.
Some of the Players:
- Nadine: 26 year old graduate of Guelph from Toronto who is also Jewish and thus has a "Jewish mother" in common with me. Also is familiar with WEEP and some people I know through school.
- Effrain: 22 year old graduate from Belize who is the senior intern for our site, even though he only has two weeks of
experience (ie. doesn't know the protocall past the incubation period for tree swallows).
- Lauren: 22 year old future veterinary student from New Jersey who is training us. Nadine and I are sharing a room with her for our two weeks in Ithaca.
Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1056s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1;
; mem: 1.1mb