From Fairhaven Beach SP to Taughannock Falls SP, NY--September 14-16, 2012


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » Finger Lakes
September 16th 2012
Published: November 16th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Friday, September 14th

This foggy morning we took showers and did the laundry at the RV park as it was cheap (paid $8.25 for wash plus drying of everything) so it was late when we left. Continued along highway 18 that was thick with apple orchards being harvested many of which had U-pick days. Stopped at one orchard/store/restaurant to look around and have lunch; it also had simple rides, stuff for kids to play on, and an animal farm. Apparently, many of the pre-schools and kindergarten classes had field trips that came here as the restaurant was filled with children’s thank you notes.

Maneuvered around Rochester keeping as close as we could to highway 18, but lost the signs somewhere and wound up on highway 104. It was a very busy freeway heading east out of the city then dropped to a 4 lane and then back to a 2 lane further on. At the town of Red Creek we turned north and though the lakeside town of Fair Haven. As we checked in there were several does out near the park headquarters. Drove around FairHavenState Park looking for a campsite along the water front. These were all taken, as it was Friday night, and lots of RV's were out. As we drove a camping circle, away from LakeOntario, we passed through a small flock of about 30 bright goldfinches that were eating something in and along the side of the road. Although Valerie tried to get a good picture of them, they wouldn't sit still and pose for her.

Saturday morning, Sept 15th, we drove back down toward the beach area and parked across the road to look at the waterfowl on the large pond/lake. Swans, ducks, coots, and geese were enjoying themselves. Left the park and headed for the Roadtrek dealership to have the back light fixture installed. I miswrote and confused myself, in an earlier entry, as the dealership is located 10 miles east of Syracuse and not near the city of Rochester. Continued east on highway 104, until the junction with highway 3, which we took to the town of Fulton. There we got on I-481 that took us on the eastern side of Syracuse. We then put in the tom-tom and it directed us all over, not-on-our-map, tiny country roads to the Seven O's RV center in Kirkville. When we arrived coming from the backside, we could see Interstate 90 through the trees. We were a bit early for our appointment, so found a corner gas station/store and had lunch---no, not "roller food"--they had a small sandwich/pizza shop inside also.

When we finished there, we started hunting for a campground to spend the night at. We located a state park on the map that was due south and generally in the direction we wished to go. After some driving on highway 3 and then to 13 we arrived at ChittenangoFallsState Park and looked around. It was a nice park, but there was no camping here!!! The State of New York has lots of State Parks in the "Finger Lakes" area but what we found, to our frustration, is that many do not allow camping.

We continued on highway 13 until we came to the very busy, quaint resort town of Cazenovia on Lake Cazenovia on highway 20. Skirted the lake and headed west toward the Finger Lakes. No RV parks here! Stopped for a break to check out the lovely rock library's book sale in the Victorian resort town of Skaneateles that is perched at the top of the Lake of the same name. Continued on highway 20 that runs across the top of the 11 Lakes until the intersection of highway 89. Lots of people out this weekend picking apples and wandering the various communities along these Lakes. Turned south on highway 89 along Cayuga Lake and found Cayuga Lake State Park near Seneca Falls and picked a spot for the night.

Sunday morning we drove through Seneca Falls to the local Wal-mart to pick up a few items and see if they allowed RV’s to stay overnight. They didn’t. So looking closely at the map, we found a National Forest that showed camping and since we were tired of paying the high cost of camping in NY State Parks, we headed that way---first driving back up to highway 20 and then through the outskirts of Seneca Falls and then down on highway 414 that traveled between Lake Cayuga and Seneca Lake.

We traveled through miles and miles of vineyards with many of them with restaurants and tasting rooms situated such that they overlooked the Lake. It was a lovely day and many tourists appeared to be having brunch at several of the larger vineyards.

At a sign pointing the way to the National Forest we turned off, away from Seneca Lake, and wandered for miles without a clue as to where the park was---never saw another sign, but plenty of farm land. We have no idea what road we were on, but finally came out in the town of Trumansburg and found a sign to Taughannock Falls State Park and checked in as we had had it by this time. We were back on Lake Cayuga and decided we deserved a down day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.544s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 59; dbt: 0.2244s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb