Home for the Holidays


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » Ballston Lake
December 16th 2010
Published: January 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Christmas - Saratoga National Cemetery Christmas - Saratoga National Cemetery Christmas - Saratoga National Cemetery

We made our "Cemetery Run" early and the other graves were not decorated yet. There is a wonderful volunteer effort to put a wreath on every grave. Now that we know about it, we will bring more than just our own parents' wreath next year.
Why do we fly home from Florida? FAMILY and more! A housefull of company and Thanksgiving in Stillwater followed by dessert in Saratoga, Christmas Eve in Charlton Christmas day in Rutland Town, VT, quick trip for a party in Cape Cod, New Years with family visiting from Northport, LI and Rutland; and a few relatives invited for New Years Day. That's why we put the RV in storage on Pine Island, head home, and stay here from Thanksgiving until Feb.

Here's an overview of a few of the highlights. Family party at the Finish Line at Northway (I87) Exit 13 N, South Broadway, Saratoga (Route 9 Malta). Love that place. It's open for breakfast, lunch & dinner and there is an adjacent hotel which seems to be ideal for New Years, Super Bown, or St. Pat's partiers. The Finish Line has a great bar, several large screen TV sets, an a bit of a Vegas decor touched by horse racing. The look works! The food is great.

Other meals out include the often cited Scotti's on Upper Union St., Schenectady where I have newly addicted myself to Pasta Alicia - with anchovies, garlic and olive oil! Carney's, Main St. (Route 146 A) Ballston Lake (it's our "Cheers)." We're their plenty and it's where we said "adios" to 2010.

Zita and I had lunch at Satsuma Fusion Restaurant, 36 Front St. Ballston Spa. It was outstanding - our bill was less then $16 for 8 California rolls each, and two entrees - spicy noodles with beef and udon noodles with chicken. We talked to the chef/owner Mino Kawaguchi who used to own Micado in Glens Falls - he has cooking classes. Think we'll sign up!

Restaurant week in Saratoga took us to our very first visit to Hattie's Chicken Shack on Phila St. off Broadway in Downtown Saratoga Springs. We've had Hattie's food at the Saratoga Race Course but glad to "eat in." Wonderful southern-style fare.

The GE Holiday party was at the Desmond Hotel & Conference Center near the Albany Airport in Colonie. We booked a room, a great mini suite with a four poster king bed. The party was fun, great butler passed hors d'oeuvres, wonderful salad, and nice dinner. Have had wonderful breakfasts at the Desmond prior so decided between Professor Javas and the Wolf Road diner. The Wolf won out and breakfast was fine.

Area "communicators" party at the impressive "penthouse" of Dale Miller's on Beaver St. in downtown Albany. Amazing view of the capital city - great place to watch fireworks on New Years or Independence Day. We swooped in to take a look at the menu, elegant dining room and bar downstairs. Saving that great experience for another time!

A rock style "Messiah" lured us to Proctors Theatre, 432 State St., Schenectady. The theatre is a four season venue for touring Broadway shows (Lion King will be here for a full month in March) and a diverse selection of whatever's on tour. The "Messiah" as rock music had a great local chorus. The music was loud and the strobe lights flashed. Interesting experience! I think I like the traditional production better!

Downtown Schenectady, Upper Union St., Saratoga Springs, Victorian Troy and other communities had seasonal offerings - strolls, tree lightings (some with firework), light shows, Turkey Trots (We watched Beth's finish in the Saratoga 5 K), etc. You can't get bored here. Pick up a Metroland or Thurs. edition of any of the local papers and make your choices. For Thanksgiving, we hauled the gang to Howe's Cavern
Tom's Surprise at the Finish LineTom's Surprise at the Finish LineTom's Surprise at the Finish Line

Some 40 friends and relatives surprised Tom Connors a few days before his 50th birthday. Great get together and just another reason why we love to spend some time home! The Finish Line is cousin Dan Reilly's restaurant near Exit 15 Saratoga - great food - and often entertainment on weekends!
for an underground adventure and Scotia Cinema for Seabiscuit in the balcony!

Back to Upper Union St. for the ribbon cutting for Rubbin Butts, which also wows Schoharie County with this great barb q fare. My Caroling style pulled pork made four meals - one at the restaurant during the opening, once for my lunch, and once for the two of us as part of a smorgasbord dinner at home with a "let's eat whatever is in styrofoam in the fridge" theme. It is so surprising that cold mayonaise style cole slaw goes so well slathered atop pulled pork; but take my work for it! It's an exceptional pairing!

On the somber side, the Saratoga National Cemetery in Schuylerville was on our visit list. Next year we will participate in a wreath program for graves of veterans whose graves would otherwise go undecorated.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Brown School Singing RingersBrown School Singing Ringers
Brown School Singing Ringers

Upper Union St. carolers at Sondra's.
Santa Lights Upper Union St. TreeSanta Lights Upper Union St. Tree
Santa Lights Upper Union St. Tree

This was, beyond a doubt, the most beautiful tree AND the perfect real Santa - Really. Nice choir music too!
British Beer CompanyBritish Beer Company
British Beer Company

Nice pub food. Nice atmosphere. Often has entertainment - Falmouth Heights!
Snowgeese & Red BerriesSnowgeese & Red Berries
Snowgeese & Red Berries

Spotted this trio on the road between Falmouth and Woods Hole, Cape Cod.
Lining up at the Uggs Store!Lining up at the Uggs Store!
Lining up at the Uggs Store!

Wrentham Village Premium Outlet is enough to make me reneg on my buy local..buy independent New Year's resolution --- amazing people were lined up outside at the Ugg and the Coach stores. Like they do at the velvet rope clubs in New York. Right off I-495 - exit 15 - AND no sales tax on clothing in Mass!
Rubbin Butts Amazing Pulled Pork SammieRubbin Butts Amazing Pulled Pork Sammie
Rubbin Butts Amazing Pulled Pork Sammie

The photo hardly does justice to the brisket and beans and the huge pulled pork sammie from Upper Union Street, Schenectady's.


3rd January 2011

Photos and missive
Nice.
13th January 2011

The Ultimate Tourist
My name is Jennie and i just wanted to let you know that there now is a webpage called http://theultimatetourist.com where tourists from around the world finally can get some use from all these photos they have, posing by different tourist attractions. Here you can choose between over onehundred different attractions and activities, upload your travel-photos and collect one tourist-point for each photo. You will reach different levels of Tourist the more photos you upload, and everybody over 80 points will be Ultimate Tourists. Remember, you have to be in every photo yourself to prove you were actually there, and dont worry about the 'No backpackers'-sign. Its just for fun. So if you would like to compete with your photos, or maybe just spread the word, go into http://theultimatetourist.com Three Swedes are in the top 3... Challenge them! :)

Tot: 0.428s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 20; qc: 124; dbt: 0.1706s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb