Geronimo!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico » Taos
October 4th 2013
Published: October 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Geronimo!



Geronimo Day at the Pueblo last Monday took place in hot hot sunshine. This is the main Festival of the Pueblo in memory of that great warrior.

I missed the early Mass at the beautiful Spanish Mission, and the running races, but made it about midday (sun very very hot). The Pueblo was heaving with locals, visitors, stalls selling food (didn't eat the fry bread but the blueberry pie---- what can I say, it kept me going), jewellery, Native American stuff.

Lots of milling around of brightly adorned crowds, but strictly no photography permitted.

Next the sacred clowns appeared at the top of the old buildings, painted with convict/type stripes and straw hair, leaping down and causing havoc amongst the stallkeepers and crowds. The stall holders had covered their stuff but left out presents of food , and even turquoise necklaces, sort of trick or treat. And the tricks were mean, and often involved a dunk in the creek, being sprayed with sticky stuff!

The police were specially targeted. Badges removed and pinned on to clown's loin cloths.

One police guy was actually handcuffed and marched off to the river. I was thinking at times this could develop into a wee incident but no , not quite.

This all took ages and I was too hot to hang around for the big pole climbing competition to reach the summit of a big tree trunk, at the top of which hung a sheep (thankfully dead).

Lost my car in the big field and eventually made it back to the Hostel hot as hell.



Other highlight was treking with Karin (friend) to local hot springs and getting in!



Yesterday I left the Abominable Snowman and drove north, slipping into Colorado and stopping at Salida, a small spa type town where I took photos of the stunning trees by the swift Arkensas River and sat with a beer watching eegits race up and down the mountain across the river sometimes biking, sometimes jogging.



And today stunning drive through the mountains, canyons, valleys of southern Colorado all dressed for the Fall in golden/scarlet finery, taking my breath away.



Spending the weekend at Evergreen. Its much cooler here, snow keep away! And as I post this, guess what? Its snowing!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



5th October 2013

snowmen?
Look not sure which. Helpful !s too hot for snowmen tho' you may have caught up with them in Arizona! Obviously blogging thing runs in the family! Good talking to you and watch out for them thar bears. James sas either you use your coat to make yourself look big or curl up small, but he's not sure which. Helpful! Take care, love Gill,
6th October 2013

Evergreen?
I suppose you are going to River Gulch? Please give big hugs to our beloveds Norma and Garret! Oh.. I wish I could be there.. Are the Aspen trees already yellow and radiating? With a bit jealousy ;o) Marianne
6th October 2013

Jealous as Hell!
Woah, you lucky lucky thing! Enjoy every second. Autumn is very nice to us here in Belfast, too - and no snow yet ;)

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb