Long Day at Taos


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico » Taos
September 3rd 2010
Published: September 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Taos PuebloTaos PuebloTaos Pueblo

A place of reverence
If you remember from my previous travel blog, Taos is one of my favorite US locations. Our drive up through the Rio Grande river canyon in bright sunshine did not disappoint. Even though Emily was not in great shape we had 4 possible destinations on the schedule.

First was Taos Pueblo, but it was closed for several days.

Next was the bridge over the Rio Grande canyon bridge on our way to Earthship. We drove slowly over the canyon which proved to be adequate. Earthship was a housing development stated in the 70's to create a community of structures that relied on environmental practices to heat, cool, water, and grow all the resources necessary to sustain life. The construction also included the use of glass, cans, plastic, and tires in order to utilize throw-away material. The tour was limited and we decided to forgo the walking required.

Next was the Millicent Rodgers museum. The museum contained the art and historical possessions gathered by Millicent from the Southwest including Native American art, Spanish art and religious items, jewelry, and even furniture. The gallery was amazing and should not be missed.

After the museum walk on a single crutch,
Few Miles NorthFew Miles NorthFew Miles North

Country in Taos
Emily was tired and in pain, so the drive around mountains east of Taos would give her a chance to rest. The drive is spectacular and Emily rated it in the top 10 drives in the US. We drove through Eagles Nest and stopped for Chinese in Angel Fire. On the return to Taos, we stopped at a pottery gallery, so Emily could continue her tradition of bringing home at least one piece of pottery.

The sun had set when we reached the Plaza and parking was not a problem, so a visit was required. We walked and limped around the plaza and found some of galleries and artistic shops had replaced curio shops.

No photos from today, but a couple from last year.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

GalleryGallery
Gallery

Gallery off the Plaza


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb