climbing in new mexico


Advertisement
Published: April 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

we had a rest day in tempe. swam in the pool which was heated, and rested up for the mountains. left with the idea of stopping in superior, az. that would've left us with approximately 30 miles each day and about 2000 feeto of vertical climb for the day. we talked about trying to go on a globe. This would make for a 50 + mile day and about 4000 feet vertical climbing. it was sunday, and mary really wanted to go on because we also have to get through the tunnel, that was about a quarter mile long, and of course was uphill, about 4 percent grade. I voted to wimp out, but said I would go along if they both want to go the distance. I was out voted and off, or I should say up we went. the tunnel was about 2 miles out of town. we had all read about tunnel, and had much anticipation about getting through safely. bob and mary both have brand new lights on their bicycles. it was a steady steep climb to the tunnel entrance. we stopped to catch our breath, turn on lights, and take some pictures. bob tried to flag down a car, to follow us through with blinkers on. It didn't take long, for us to figure out that it was not going to work. so we waited for no traffic, and off we went. it was 2 lanes going up hill, so cars and trucks could get around us. I did a pretty good job, of keeping up with bob and mary for the first half off the tunnel. it was very noisy, and we made it out alive, and exhilarated. we stopped take some pictures, catch our breath, and then it was on of the mountain. very steady climbing, and a little or no shoulders. we were happy to finally get to globe. the good news is, next day we only have 13 miles to apache gold casino and hotel. the next day the wind was blowing with 30 mile an hour gusts in our face. if we had stopped in superior, we would have had that climb with the wind in our faces. it would have been brutal. thank you mary.
we stayed 1 day at apacheco gold and left for a 70 mile run thatcher arizona.
next morning we got up for a 39 mile run and 3000 feet to 3 way arizona. we have made arrangements to leave our bikes at the ranger station, and bob the bold, had negotiated a 9 mile ride to clifton arizona and a hotel. the owner of the hotel gave us a brief tour of clifton, a copper mining town since the 1880's.
The next morning we left 3 way and climbed the second highest point on the southern tier. We were very tired and happy to get to campground at buckhorn new mexico. bob and mary finally got to use their new camping gear

Advertisement



Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0648s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb