Turquoise Trail

United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico » Santa Fe
April 16th 2013
Published: October 1st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 35.6915, -105.937

We had a 10am check-out but were able to leave our car in the parking lot at the condos, which was helpful. It was a lovely day, a little warmer than it had been, so the walk was pleasant. We began with a stroll up Canyon Road, stopping in at a few galleries. Most amusing was an overheard conversation -- a gallery owner on the phone with a client, telling the client, "Look, don't tell me that $125,000 is your limit and to stop there, because I'd hate for you to not get the painting if it goes for only five or six grand more. I'll make one bid past your limit, because it may stop there. So, I'm going 125, hammer, plus one. Okay, okay. I love you, man." They had a Thomas Moran, of Rome ... and also talked about selling another Moran recently. The gallery owners are generally very friendly and interested in chatting about their wares. I think my dad should visit and talk to them about their art and his travels.

We returned to the Plaza via Palace, which curves around from the end of Canyon Road galleries. A few homes were for sale along the road, hidden behind high walls, many with lush (or relatively lush) gardens.

Lunch was had at Pasquals, where we had delicious huevos rancheros. After lunch, we went up to where they sell pottery and bought some hand-created pots that can be used on the stove top and in the oven (and, they tell us, microwave, just like in the old days). It will be shipped, and I hope it works well.

We decided to return to Albuquerque along the turquoise trail, which is a mostly interesting drive through the dry hills. We paused to visit the tiny town of Cerillos (I think). We also passed through the artsy town of Madrid without stopping ... and we both recognized it from our visit a few years ago.

Reached the airport in perfect time for our flight home, which was on-time and did not feel nearly as long (nor as bumpy) as anticipated. Because we landed at rush hour, we had dinner in San Bruno...at a very tasty Italian restaurant, which was amazingly busy for a Tuesday evening, with several parties and lots of repeat/well-known customers. The waiters all spoke Italian to each other, which added to the charm.

By the time we were on the bridge, traffic was pretty light. We reached home just as night descended. Gruden greeted us with whimpering.


Tot: 1.852s; Tpl: 0.051s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0201s; 1; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 2; ; mem: 1.3mb