The Great American Adventure


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico » Santa Fe
October 18th 2007
Published: October 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

THE AMERICAN ADVENTURE
ET LE WEDDING IN SANTA FE

We eventually hit Trace and Marc’s about 4pm in the midst of tears, laughter and lots of screaming. In the coming hours we of course got to know Marc and his wonderful Moma and Popa and her gorgeous son Josh - enjoyed a beautiful BBQ dinner cooked by Trace as she plied us with wine in preparation for giving us our “duties list” for the coming days - I never knew Tracey could be so organised - it was most impressive.
Revy became 3037B, parked outside T&M’s front door ,in a partially opened state, so we didn’t disturb the neighbours in their Cul de sac too much.
In the 3 days preceding the wedding (which by the time the wedding came seemed more like 3 weeks) we had some great quality time with Trace, Marc Annalie, Reinhardt, Josh and Jake (who arrived from school in California on the Friday) and in between we followed the list as well as we could (there did seem to be a few versions of the list.) We also enjoyed a great night at the Santa Fe festival, meeting some of T&M’s friends and got to experience the annual burning of Zazobra, a ritualistic character who has evolved and been burnt each year to purge the evil New Mexican spirits before the crops -this year it was the biggest ever and was entered in the Guinness Book of Records. And C&E got an appearance on the local TV. Only here 2 weeks and we are already climbing the celebrity list - next the red carpets in Hollywood.
The highlight for Corrie in those 3 days apart from having time with Tracey was on the Friday afternoon when we went over to Tracey’s friends Lynn and Ann’s house and did the flowers and C actually got to make Tracey’s bouquet - such an honour!
And then arrived the big day and as with many things in Tracey’s life it began in a different sort of way (well certainly different from most other brides) as Pam, her dear friend from New York and I woke early and went with Trace to attend one of Tracey’s step classes (that is, that she instructs) - Pam and I lasted about 20 minutes and then fell down. From there Pam and I went window shopping on the famous Canyon Rd for about half an hour while Tracey finished off the class. From there it was off to Eduardo’s hair salon - this was better than any Hollywood production - after a few glasses of champagne Trace and I (looking very glam) headed home to gather our clothes etc to head up to the venue,with all the gals in the bridal party and decorate the tables and then it was on to a “Thousand Waves” - the eventual honeymoon destination, where we were to get ready - and more champagne. When Tracey eventually put on her dress she looked unbelievable, like something out of an exotic South American Movie, she was bubbling with such happiness it made me feel so happy for her. The next unusual feature was when Trace wanted to arrive at the wedding before the Groom - she was so B organised and ready so early - so to try and curb this we just drank more champagne. Then to delay her arrival a little longer we made the decision to drive further up the mountain than the wedding venue and we all (Trace, Corrie, Angelica, Pam, Mama, Zoe and Jasmine the flower girls) got out of the car (which, of course, Trace was driving) and danced and laughed hilariously for about 5 minutes,( I think we were all very nicely by this time, particulary considering we were at about 7500ft up. )We then backtracked to the venue, (Tracey parked the car, as all good brides do) and we had now arrived fashionably late, as good brides do
. Arriving at the venue we were greeted by E who had been dubbed the family Cinematographer for the day.
All the time, Tracey was just bubbling with excitement and looked absolutely beautiful.
The next thing was when we got to see the gorgeous Marc, standing there waiting patiently, as Josh and Jake walked Trace up the aisle to give her away, it was all so emotional, and really super for us to be part of!!!!!
The venue was like a castle up in the mountains and had just the right ambience and romantic feel for Trace and Marc’s celebration, they had planned and chosen just right!
The priest then delivered an amazing service - so apt and meaningful for today’s world. And Marc and Tracey’s well thought out vows brought many to tears (C just blubbed her heart out).
The next part of the event was meeting and chatting with the guests, eating, drinking (some more) and then the speeches. Brad, the best man went first and then I was called on to represent the Antipodean side of the Family-
I began with the Maori welcome KiaOra and then got them all up to rub noses, it took them a minute or so to get it but eventually we got there, a few demos from the family and some friends, helped a little. Actually it was a really good ice breaker, and allowed me to then go on and make a very heartfelt speech (without falling completely apart) about my life with Tracey and her family. The importance of unconditional love. And of how proud her parents, the family and Ian and I are of her for all her accomplishments in life and most importantly how very happy we all are for her to be marrying into such a genuine and loving family as The Beyer’s. I then topped it off with the speech from Sue and Noel, which made me sound like a real professional, thanks Sue.
The following speeches were all fantastic, but most especially the one from Marc’s Dad, Reinhardt who speaks only a little English, but very well. But most importantly was the content of his speech and the amazing effort he made. The candlelight only, didn’t help either of us very much, but when you speak from the heart, the light really doesn’t matter that much, I guess.
The night went on till about 12 and the atmosphere, music and dancing were enjoyed by all.

During the following days Ian and I began to seriously plan our next little adventure The Grand Canyon Hike. A day trip into Albuquerque to REI (thankyou Ronald for that tip) enabled us to purchase all our hiking necessities in one stop/shop.
We also, with help from Marc, got the car serviced, had a day soaking up the 400 year old Santa Fe, with the wonderful unique Adobe architecture, doing the Plaza, historic churches and The Governors museum and learnt some more about the exciting South West, with the blend of the 3 different cultures Spanish, Indian and American, and enjoyed the cuisine which can only be described with one word “Chilli” - tip - if you don’t eat chilli and hot food don’t go! - but we loved it. We also fell in love with the art of Santa Fe, in particular the sculpture, the best we had ever seen.
We then took ourselves off for a 2 day trip to Taos, via Chimayo a religious sanctuary, that is America’s answer to Lourdes. In Taos we visited the 400 year old, world Heritage listed, Taos Pueblo, did a great hike up the Divisedero loop and drove the Enchanted Circle - a drive that made you feel as if you were in Switzerland, returning over the Rio Grande river.
Back to Santa Fe for a few days with the newly weds and farewell Jake back to school and a great family hike to one of the eight pueblos around Santa Fe Tsankawi - an Indian Archaeological site with cliff dwellings that we were able to walk inside and experience the feeling of how it might have been living there back in the 1400s. The Mesa (Mountain table top) was covered in the typical Pinon and Juniper woodlands and cacti and many pieces of the old original potter were scattered along the way. We then had a 5 a pre dinner drink overlooking the Rio Grande flowing 500 feet below and home for a shower and to get frocked up for our farewell dinner in cental Santa Fe at a super restaurant with singing waiters. A great night had by all and a fond farewell to Trace and Marc, and Analie and Reinhardt and Josh and thus prepared and ready for the next stage of our journey.
The Santa Fe hospitality was, as always, all encompassing, full of lots of emotion, laughter and copious amounts of unconditional love, Thanks Trace and Marc, see you in Vegas.





Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.191s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0633s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb