It was an artsy day


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico » Santa Fe
July 19th 2019
Published: July 20th 2019
Edit Blog Post

We let Beamer sleep in this morning. He had a hard day yesterday and he was sleeping so soundly, we wanted to let him rest. So, we didn’t get going until 9:20 and 80 degrees. The plan for today was to visit areas around Santa Fe and Albuquerque. (Man, that name is hard to spell.) So we headed south to the big city. First stop…Costco. I was almost out of wine and who can pass up the prices at Costco when it comes to wine. It appears that there are three of them in Albuquerque and one was right on our way to city center.

After making this critical purchase, we visited the business district. Interestingly, there are a lot of government buildings in the city center…the county courthouse, which is a beautiful building, the country jail, very much in the traditional adobe architecture, a federal building and others. There are not a lot of tall buildings in Albuquerque but they have their share. Item of note…the city seems to be very clean. Even in the outer perimeters, the streets are free of litter and everything looked spic and span. We drove to the west side of the city to see Old Town and we had lunch there before moving on. Old Town is a square with a park in the middle and shops all around it. We saw lots of people shopping.

Next we took a scenic drive to get back to Santa Fe. Mostly, it was a lot of desert with rolling hills and the usual yellow grass peppered with green sage. We did, however, pass through Madrid, a small town where they had a lot of shops and a few restaurants on a nice little shaded street.

We then pointed the car toward the city center of Santa Fe and found the State Capitol. It is a round building and not easy to identify, as it does not look like most. It is in the local style of architecture with flowing walls in earth tones. Finally we drove Canyon Rd, which is the art district. It is a charming street, lined with artisan shops selling all sorts of things, like sculptures, paintings and even hand-made rugs. We would have liked to stroll through the area, but Beamer was with us and not feeling up to par, so we just admired it all from the car.

We got back to the hotel around 3:30 PM. And finally, we were able to get Beamer to eat some chicken and rice, which we really likes. Now that he has some food in his stomach, I suspect he will be bouncing back quickly.

Tomorrow, we drive to Winter Park, CO where friends, Bob and Gloria, have a ski lodge. We love that place and will be spending a couple of days relaxing and perhaps revisiting Rocky Mountain NP…for the what, 5thtime, perhaps?


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



20th July 2019

Art
Very interesting art work. I have never been there but should put it on our list.

Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0595s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb