City of Rocks


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico » Deming
March 25th 2019
Published: March 26th 2019
Edit Blog Post

blog 03-25-19 City of Rocks SP

Today Pat and I had plans to travel north to the third state park in our area. It's name is City of Rocks and it is about a square mile right out of the Flintstones, it could pass for Bedrock. We went to the visitor's center and read some information about the park and saw a short film on how the park came to be. It was formed initially when a volcano erupted and left a layer of rock that ultimately was worn away from erosion. It wore away unevenly and left individual rocks standing, some in clusters.

The campground is carved into the rock formations and each site is unique. We walked around for a while, in and around the rocks imagining what the different shapes represent. Our imaginations ran wild envisioning all kinds of creatures just standing around waiting to be discovered. See what you see.

The campsites among the rocks have no electric or water but they do have a picnic table and an incredible view. There is a section with electric but it is out in the open and too close to each other.

We drove around the campground and marked the sites that I could fit my camper into and stared the best ones. Some are reservable, most are not, it's first come first served. I am going to go on line and see if I can reserve a site for 2 or 3 nights. I have reservations for the next 5 nights but after that I can do 2 nights.

We found a picnic table under a tree and had lunch while listening to the birds and the bees buzzing, enjoying the breeze. What a beautiful area with mountains in the distance and vast areas of desert. Wide open spaces....

We headed back home because I have to leave the park tomorrow and there is a lot to do. The park I'm going to is not far away but it might not have cell service and the nearest grocery store may be forever away.

So I am all stocked up with groceries and will get propane in the morning and a full tank of gas.

It will be hard to say good-bye to Deming, I have really enjoyed the area. My tentative plan for next year is to spend about a month in Florida then head west as I did this year to spend a month here in Deming but at a different campground.

The temperature got up to almost 80 today and it felt really hot. Time to increase the elevation and head north, slowly.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.348s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 16; qc: 94; dbt: 0.2036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb