TEXAS & NEW MEXICO HOMBRES


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico » Carlsbad
July 26th 2016
Published: July 27th 2016
Edit Blog Post

TEXAS
San Antonio, the Alamo was first on our agenda. The chapel is just about the only remaining part of the entire fort but iconic and the story a legend. It was surprising to see so many countries represented in Texas's battle for independence. It's another scorcher, mate; around 105.

So the next logical place to visit is the River Walk. It is a really nice area along a man made canal including canal boat rides. But the big draw is the shade trees and the coolness found next to the river. It is lined with restaurants and shops. We eat at a barbacue place but it's no where close to Memphis barbacue, Yummy.

NEW MEXICO
We leave San Antonio Texas on a 9 hour drive. More desert and oil and gas wells along the way. On to Carlsbad New Mexico where we stayed the night. We unloaded our bags and headed off to buy more fresh food supplies. Another first for Francine, a trip to Walmart. Unfortunately we didn't see any outrageous fashion disasters, besides our own. It's still hot and we head directly to the indoor pool. It was so refreshing and our first swim for the summer trip.

And we're out the door early the next morning and at 8.30am we arrive at Carlsbad Caverns. The caverns/cave system is aprox 700 feet deep. The walk down and around is approx 3 miles / 5 km long and takes us a few hours to take in all the beauty. All the different rock formations, stalagmites, stalagtites, crysral clear pools. The caves are massive with beautiful displays.

UFO ALERT. We arrive in Roswell. Little green men are everywhere. McDonalds is now in the shape of a spaceship and we had some out this world food, namely McDonalds.

Plus, some of the streets have been blocked off. It's the New Mexico Seniors Olympics. Go for it, Angie!

On to Albuquerque and our hotel. We stayed here the night, no swim, no covering on the pool, it was hot and the water looked green and soupy. Ewww.

Bright and early the next morning we headed to the Sandia Peak tramway/cable car and took a ride to the top. We had a great view over the city and took a walk through part of the forest. A man walking a large dog told us he heard noises in the brush and his dog went berserk, so he changed trails. We shortened our hike as well. Always trust a berserk dog.

Back down in the tram and a walk around of the Old Town. Talking to locals and Native Americans about their wares and traditions. Finishing with lunch at the Mexican Cantina.

And back on the road again. Look out Sedona and Arizona.


Additional photos below
Photos: 117, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

ULTIMATE VACATION CARULTIMATE VACATION CAR
ULTIMATE VACATION CAR

Post pics on your car


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0525s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb