Going Home


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico » Albuquerque
November 11th 2014
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 35.0841, -106.649

The day started at 2:38 a.m. for me. That was when I heard Philip get up, and I looked at the clock. The alarm was set to go off at 2:45. I don't know how his internal alarm works, but he never needs a wake-up call. We had to be in the hotel lobby by 3:15 a.m. for the bus ride back to the airport in Naples. Our first flight was at 6:15 a.m. We flew from Naples to Munich, and now we are on the way to Houston as I write. After a three-hour layover in Houston, we should be back in Albuquerque by 7:30 or so local time. At the beginning of this flight, the captain said that it would be eleven hours and twenty-five minutes in the air. The plane is a 767 so I guess it is slower than other international flights we've taken. Economy plus is not full again. This plane has a 2-3-2 arrangement of seats. I booked an aisle and a window against the starboard side thinking that would be the least sunny if our neighbors raised their window shades. As it turned out, there was no one in three of the middle rows when we were loaded and ready for take-off. Philip slipped across the aisle to one of the empty seats to give us both more leg room. He laid down across two seats for a short nap soon after take-off and no one bothered him. I see that others have spread out, too. We are only two rows in front of regular economy, but the flight attendant would not let a person from that row move without paying the extra fee for economy plus.

A little more than halfway through the flight, a woman came and sat on the same row with Philip, but I think by then he was finished sleeping and ready to sit up and read or watch another movie.

My favorite things this trip:

- Listening to the musical quality of the Italian language

· Private driver who took us to Herculaneum, Vesuvius, and Pompeii

· The gorgeous color of the water in the Blue Grotto

· Friendliness and eagerness to help of the local guides and Galactic people

· The TV station paid for most everything

· Hitting over ten thousand steps a day on the Fitbit without even trying very hard

Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0256s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb