Route 66 - Day 7


Advertisement
Published: July 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Dark SkiesDark SkiesDark Skies

The storm as it moved in
We took a much needed day of rest today. The weather was hot and many places were closed for the holiday. We slept in and went to see a movie (Brave) in the morning. On the way to the movie we had to check out the world famous Alburquerque Holiday Inn (where the towels are oh so fluffy*). We made some friends with the people in the sites next to us and we all planned to see the fireworks at the balloon grounds later that night. As we were doing laundry, swimming and generally relaxing that afternoon, the dark clouds started to move in. By the time Michelle and Anne had cleaned up from thier swim, the wind had picked up and the weather alert station automatically turned on in the trailer. A major thunderstorm with wind gusts up to 60 mph was headed for Alburquerque. We scrambled to batten down the hatches and settled in with various electrical devices. It was very windy and we had a bit of rain for the next 90 minutes and then it was over. The main cell missed us by about 10 miles. Due to the weather we decided not to go to the fireworks and instead watched the various displays of Reservation fireworks that were being set off around us and talked with the neighbors while the kids played. It was a lot of fun.

*from Weird Al's song "Alburquerque"


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

space for everyonespace for everyone
space for everyone

Michelle and Anne had their spots staked out for the storm.
The world famous Alburquerque Holiday InnThe world famous Alburquerque Holiday Inn
The world famous Alburquerque Holiday Inn

Michelle spotted a water slide through the windows to go with the fluffy towels.
Movie theater EscherMovie theater Escher
Movie theater Escher

Anne spotted some tessellations in the carpet at the movie theater.


Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0308s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb