Route 66 - Day 6


Advertisement
Published: July 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

GallupGallupGallup

Nice RV park ... not a KOA, and we were pretty happy with it. (USA RV Park in Gallup, NM)
Today we actually made it out very early, drove 5 hours round trip through the Navajo nation to Four Corners (where we spent 30 minutes), took some fun pictures, browsed some native crafts, and Tony took a nice nap on the way back (and the way there). The scenery in the Navajo reservation is fantastic. There is a giant lava mountain in the middle of a big valley that is 2500 feet tall (basically, the throat of an extinct volcano, eroded around)... called Shiprock since it kind of looks like an old clipper ship if you squint right.

After a quick trailer hookup and packing (during which time Michelle played and ran around), we headed off towards Albuquerque. We stopped at the Continental Divide, then took a neat drive on Route 66 for a short while. We only ventured off of I-40 for perhaps 40 miles of route 66 driving today (only the best)... most of route 66 on this stretch is adjacent to the freeway, or inaccessible. The most picturesque was a five mile strech between Laguna and Mesita with some really authentic hills and curves.

We stopped to play at a nice park and have some late
2 States2 States2 States

While waiting in line for the main event, Michelle took some time to entertain the crowd.
lunch in the town of Grants. We originally intended to stop at the Uranium Cafe, an original Route 66 diner, but it appeared to be a burger joint now, and we had sandwich fixin's in the trailer.

As we entered Albuquerque, we of course had to play the Wierd Al song of the same name. That took us most of the way through town until just before we got to the KOA. Another nice place with lots of spaces, but they don't feel crowded, and a pool and hot tub. Both were utilized quickly after our arrival. Michelle also took advantage of the flat pavment to ride her bike for the first time this trip. We have great neighbors with a daughter and son about Michelle's age. We are all going to fireworks tomorrow night, over by where they launch hot-air balloons (north on I-25, I think) after a day of relaxing and laundry.


Tony's Trailering Tips - Make sure you actually install the bars that hold everything in your fridge before you leave, or you end up mopping up milk, from the ceiling.
Michelle's Musings - When you are trying to sleep and it's dark, never
TWISTERTWISTERTWISTER

Why have one of us put an appendage in each state when ALL of us can AT THE SAME TIME!
put glow sticks in your room.
Anne's Annecdotes - Sometimes 30 minutes of a unique experiences is worth a 5 hour round trip car ride.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

ShiprockShiprock
Shiprock

Hard to do it justice with a picture, but it towers 2500 feet over the surrounding desert.
HURRY HURRY
HURRY

Hey it's raining, and those clouds look nasty... lets hurry the hell up!
DividedDivided
Divided

The Continental divide, where rain falling west of here goes to the Pacific and rain in the east goes to the Atlantic (or gulf of Mexico)
PLAYPLAY
PLAY

some play time on a break in Grants.
EATEAT
EAT

Thanks Anne... Yummy sandwiches.
PrettyPretty
Pretty

One of the most scenic Route 66 spots. I think they used this section to inspire the new cars ride in Aneheim.
AlbuquerqueAlbuquerque
Albuquerque

KOA again.. always nice.


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0335s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb