You won't find this on a map - Sile, NM - December 2007


Advertisement
Published: May 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

SileSileSile

She said yes!!!!
So!!!!
Just throwing this one out there. And I know Nikkie will write a whole lot more about this, because this is a place close to her heart. The town of Sile is about 35 minutes north of Albuquerque next to the Rio Grande river. It's a town, home to few, that rarely apperars on any map. It is a stretch of land located between two Indian Pueblos: Cochiti and Santo Domingo. I always joke saying Sile has 3 houses, 5 people, 10 dogs, 20 cows and 50 chickens. Ha ha. Sile is where Nikkie's grandma lives. All family gatherings take place here. Everybody goes there for Christmas and Thanksgiving. There is never a shortage of beans, chile or tortillas.


Well I bring up Sile because this is a special place to us. It was December 2007. We were thinking about going to South Africa, but it did not work out (the plan was to propose on the beach in South Africa). We then decided to go back to NYC for New Years, but I got chicken pox the day before we were suppose to leave ( I was going to propose under the Christmas tree in NYC). So
SileSileSile

Wild Horses
none of these worked out. So plan C: There is a massive old Cottonwood Tree that Nikkie absolutely loves on the Santo Domingo reservation. I drove her out there and popped the question under the tree. It was cold, crappy, and my face looked like a mine field. She still said yes.

The chances that you will ever visit Sile is probably slim to none and even if you go there you are probably likely to drive through it without even knowing it. It's a beautiful landscape. If you're ever in New Mexico do yourself the favor and try and find it. 90% of the fun will be to just find it.

It was our first real Christmas together. I got to hang out with the family. Got to go to Sile to hang out with about 200 family members (okay maybe it was only 50). We also bought ourselves a Christmas present. We got a digital Canon Rebel SLR so the pictures from now on should be a little better quality.

Till next time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

SileSile
Sile

Our tree!!!
SileSile
Sile

Branding!!!


26th July 2014

sile
I know this tree!!! my family lives there and it is truly....a place that has big part of my childhood

Tot: 0.293s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 26; qc: 102; dbt: 0.1342s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb